+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which SPU for Schick

I'm Chris.

Thanks Gordan,
    Probably I will do that, but Thomas seems very buzzy...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5acan View Post
    Thanks for your inputs guys,
    For what I understand the GM II is the best you can get for price, that's fine.
    And conical will give vintage sound vs elliptical more modern.

So last question
    I'm stuck between a EMT TSD15 and a ZYX 50, EMT giving a vintage punchy sound, the ZYX something modern and thinner, which one choose ;-)
    EMT TSD15. I have used them (or the XSD version) for the last 35 years. One of them is currently on loan to Marco; ask him what he thinks of it.

I also use an Ortofon SPU (the "cooking" GM II) and think the 'sound' is closer to the EMT than other cartridges - not surprisingly as Ortofon supplied cartridges to EMT before EMT designed their own, the latter being obviously influenced by the SPU-A.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Thanks Barry, I didn't know that, so probably not the pah to follow in term of diversification ;-)
    May I ask you how you use your EMT?
    MM or MC?
    SUT?

thnaks

Thanks Barry, I didn't know that, so probably not the path to follow in term of diversification ;-)
    May I ask you how you use your EMT?
    MM or MC?
    SUT?

thnaks
    When used with my EMT 929 arm the cartridges are either the TSD15 (with spherical tip) or the TSD15sfl (with a 'fine line' stylus). The EMT 930 turntable has a built in equalisation amplifier (aka phonostage) whose output can be adjusted as high as 5V. I have set mine to give about 100 -200mV output feeding a line-level input of the preamplifier.

If I use the EMT XSD15 cartridge (essentially identical to the TSD, but having an extended stub with the contacts arranged to mate with the standard SME/EIA arm bayonet coupling) with either an SME 3009 II (non improved) or 3012 II arm, then I use a separate phonostage (either a modified Linn LINNK or a Mark Levinson ML25) these latter feeding a line-level input of the preamplifier.

I do have a few SUTs (Nakamichi MC100, Ortofon (Jeurgen Schou) 2-15K, as well as a couple of home made units using Haufe and Sowter transformers), however I find the use of phonostages to be more convenient in my set up.
    Last edited by Barry; 20-05-2015 at 15:59. Reason: punctuation
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Thanks for all Barry, very helpful.
    My TSD is with VDH boron cantilever...nice and sweet ;-)

Thanks for all Barry, very helpful.
    My TSD is with VDH boron cantilever...nice and sweet ;-)
    Now that is something special! Was it modified by Van Den Hul? I assume it has a VDH tip. EMT TSDs are now available with the VDH tip as an option. It would be interesting to compare one with the 'sfl' version.

Take very great care not to 'snag' the cantilever. Boron is a brittle material and boron cantilevers can be easily broken; as I know to my cost!

Regards
    Barry

I'm Chris.

I know, I broke it once ;-(
    This one was retipped with VDH and optimized.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12