+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know a genius with wood

I'm David.

Default I know a genius with wood

Bumped in to a old mate of mine tonight.. He'S a cabinet
    maker these days. He said that he was interested in the idea of makeing speaker cabs, but didn't know where to find out info on design or drivers. I said I would try and help, but I couldn't promise anything... Can anyone here point us at a place that might have cab designs and apropriate drives etc..
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

Obvious choices would be World Designs and Wilmslow Audio.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm ILOB.

It depends where he wants to go with this there is lots of stuff around Open baffle cabinets around and pretty simple to make
    http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums...php?f=2&t=1195 This helped me build my baffles

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/...ers2.html#myfr Nick is really helpful he writes for TNT and a bit of a legend in the DIY field

http://decware.com/paper92.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure A brief look at different designs

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm

Sorry its nearly all open baffles but they are pretty easy to build do not have to cost much to build and can sound pretty awesome.The issue people often complain about is bass but I can ensure you the bass I get from mine is tight deep and does kick drums; for me its like being able to hear the drum kit in my room but also having the bass player firmly under lying with the bass guitar
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Bumped in to a old mate of mine tonight.. He'S a cabinet
    maker these days. He said that he was interested in the idea of makeing speaker cabs, but didn't know where to find out info on design or drivers.
    Hi Hamish,

Could you please PM me his phone number or email address? I'm looking for someone to re-veneer my Lockwoods. The existing cabinets will be kept but I just want a different finish. It won't be right away but I'd like a quote so I know roughly how much it's going to cost

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Exclamation

I'm intrested too, have quite a big project for him.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Hamish,

Could you please PM me his phone number or email address? I'm looking for someone to re-veneer my Lockwoods. The existing cabinets will be kept but I just want a different finish. It won't be right away but I'd like a quote so I know roughly how much it's going to cost

Cheers!

Marco.
    If you fancy having a go at veneering I can highly recommend the following...

http://www.veneerworkshop.co.uk/

This was my first attempt at veneering and its really not that difficult. I'll be happy to provide some tips if required.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3648

Richard

I'm ChrisB.

Maybe this is the guy for Beechy to go to for a wood sleeve for his Quads?

I'm ILOB.

Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I paid £30 for my oak veneers but I think you can get it cheaper by searching on Ebay.

I'm David.

answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine

infuriating! i only have a personal mobile number for him and i dont want to give that out without asking him first... not that you would be able to get hold of him anyway:

answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine
    answer machine

i hate the bloody things... anyway i have texted him ... il get back to you, when he gets back to me!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast