+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge dampers/spacers/weights

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I need a tad more weight on my cartridges to balance out nicely with the counterweight close to the pivot point.
    I have seen Mpingo and graphite spacers on ebay.

The graphite one is from AudioSilente in Italy - http://www.audiosilente.com/spessori_testina.html who are currently at Munich, have all sorts of interesting looking graphite products.

The Mpingo spacer is from the seller "Asantewood".

Does anybody have any experience of these products that they could kindly share?
    Hi Kevin, l used an ART Graphite Damper( which looks identical to the item on the left of your link) on my Gyrodec/SME V/ Denon DL103, and this was to make the cartridge 'taller' as the back of the SME would hit the record being played if it had a warp, well l have to say it had a very positive impact on sound ( because of the extra mass) l would say go for it!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andy.

Would like to add that this was 'BCB' the damper really brought out the best bits of the SME V/DL103 combo, really full propulsive bass and all day listening.,
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Kevin.

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.
    The choice is between a hardwood, Delrin or graphite spacer.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Hugo.

I can't comment on the best type of spacer to use, but I can confirm that the service from Simone at Audio Silente is top notch.

I'm peter.

For those using modern SME arms, it's worth remembering that the company makes a nice 'spacer' which adds mass and also provides additional clearance for the 309, 4 and V arms. That way you don't need to worry about warps.

I'm Surayne.

Soundsmith make an interesting set of cartridge thumbscrews which have varying weights, made from different materials (brass, steel and nylon I think). Might be an easy way to add mass.

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943...Z&Locale=en_GB

I'm Kevin.

After 6 months, I have finally placed the order for a 4mm graphite spacer from Audio Silente.

I don't believe in rushing these things.
    Kevin

I'm Geoff.

Why does it need to be made of graphite?

I've made them from Paxolin and Tufnol sheet. Or heavier items from roofing lead or brass.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Graphite is supposed to be good for vibration damping.
    I just fancied giving it a try.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The spacer arrived yesterday. It looks very well made.
    I fitted it to my SAE 1000LT last night. It seems to have made a slight improvement on the overall sound, but not a massive one. It still sounds very good.

I think that this is my favourite cartridge. I am just kicking myself that I didn't order a spare.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast