+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small RPi/IQAudio DAC+ Review

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Ah the Rasberry Pi...plug and play computing for the Everyman.
    Yeah, we live in a dumbed down world were we rely on others to do the technical work. Just as you provide a service to "everyman" with your Music servers the developers of things like Volumio, RuneAudio etc. are attempting to make the RPI setup as "plug n play" as possible. But as has been said elsewhere :

"If you don't want to ( or are not prepared to...) put some effort in to learn for yourself you won't get anywhere with Raspberry Pi/i2s DAC's .. "
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Rich.

I'm anything but a technophobe I am a busy man and life's too short for learning a whole bunch of stuff I'm not likely to have any practical application for besides getting some tunes out of my stereo.

For anyone like me I'd say the Pi wouldn't really be a goer and they'd be better off spending their money on a new stylus or something and their time on cleaning their records.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Gary.

Hear what your saying Chris, I think Pi's are great things, purely just because it's getting more folk (and kids) into computing.
    Nowadays being at least a little savvy about these things can open new doors for you.

The Linux community guys who are developing these OS' for the Pi are doing a great job.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Well I spent the last day or so toying with mine and I can say with confidence that running the Pi through USB to an MF Vlink and then to my Rega DAC gives the best results by far. No messing with any settings or tweaking of volumes on the device required.

As such I'll be offering my IQ DAC and case for sale here and putting the Pi in a case in its own. Fancy one of those wooden ones actually. I just can't get away with the sound of the IQ DAC... definitely not my cup of tea.

Anyone interested in an IQ DAC and case is welcome e to PM me...
    Got me curious Rich...
    Didn't try USB out of the Pi into my own Dac.
    Worth a punt just for fun.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inactive.

Interesting take on this little bleeder....

As a side note I was initially sceptical about the 'revolutionary' claims made about the Pi/IQ DAC combo and envisaged endless hours of tweaking and fussing as well as days wasted reading screeds of tedious geek forum threads before achieving any notion of audio nirvana...

As it was I took the punt, bought the gear, wanged it in a box and plugged it in straight after doing the mumbo-jumbo incantations to get the OS onto a card.

Result - absolutely stellar sound coming from my speakers ... with no tweaking to speak of bar setting an onscreen dial to the best volume setting !!!!!

The beast gets my seal of approval without a moments hesitation

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    Yeah, we live in a dumbed down world were we rely on others to do the technical work. [/I]
    So we should all learn how to smelt iron before we use a spoon?

I'm Luis.

Dear friends,

Does anyone know if the Iqaudio dac plus can be connected to a power supply?

Thank you.

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123