+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Get your reel 2 reel players out for the lads

I'm Stewart.

I have 2 of these machines - they are truly sublime in terms of both tape handling and sound quality - what Kudelski achieved with a single motor transport here is nothing short of stunning.
    Stewart.

I'm Josie.

I would love an IV-S... Such a well made little thing.

Quick question, can it record at 15ips on 7" reels or do you need the OGB adapter for that?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I would love an IV-S... Such a well made little thing.

Quick question, can it record at 15ips on 7" reels or do you need the OGB adapter for that?
    Yes - you can record at 15ips using 7" spools on the Nagra IV-S, but you will get through the tape quickly. Assuming a 7" spool holds 1200' of tape, at 15 ips that's 960 seconds worth of recording, or 16 minutes. The Nagra IV-S was designed as a portable machine for interviews, recording bird song or film dialogue - all of which do not need a long recording time capacity.

If you want to use 10.5" spools you will need to use the QGB adapter but the combination is so clumbersome, you may as well go for a decent Revox or Studer machine (say the Revox PR99 or a Studer A62 or B62) capable of taking 10.5" diameter spools.
    Last edited by Barry; 22-05-2015 at 13:23.
    Barry

I'm Aleks.

Barry,

Thanks for the suggestion of a Revox G36, seems just what I'm looking for. Let the hunt begin.

I'm Alan.

That one is ex BBC Radio kent. I bought it at a boot fair together with a Leak TL25 and pre that supposedly came from the same source. I think it was £125 for both.
    Wow thats got to be an absolute bargain, and from a boot fair !, I never found any decent HIFI gear at a boot fair
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

TheMooN Guest

Really good to see such enthusiasm for this format alive and well , for my part, and for a number of reasons, I am planning to reduce my machine count down to a more manageable single Nagra IVS with an QGB adapter.

I'm Josie.

It's mad... the QGB unit costs more than the actual tape unit! - Very nice though.

I'd be interested in knowing what machines you might be moving on, Roger as I'm looking in to a new machine myself.

PM me if you could help.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Stewart.

Are you interested in a near mint condition Otari Mx 55?
    Last edited by Lodgesound; 24-05-2015 at 16:12.
    Stewart.

I'm Josie.

A quick question if I may...

Would I have any problems in volume or clipping with connecting unbalanced (output from pre or DAC) to a balanced input of a tape deck (using custom made IC or adapter) and then again from a balanced output (from deck) to an unbalanced input of pre?

Been looking in to some lovely reel to reels that all have balanced I/O but I've got conflicting advice on this. Some say I'd need a DI Box? And depending if the tape deck has VU levels it might therefore have to go through a PPM/Monitor too!

Sounds quite convoluted if you ask me. Any thoughts, chaps?

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Gone.

Hi Jo'

I have my PR99s running into THESE into my Art Audio VPL with no problem in either direction. If your tape input has enough head room there should be no trouble, but a simple attenuator should do the trick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast