+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Pi bake off

I'm Justin.

Steve has ditched the Nagra VPA and Modwright 36.5 pre and is now using this class A Vitus SIA-0025. 25 Watts in class A, or you can extend that from 25W to 100W by switching to class AB. At normal volume levels you can't hear a difference between the 2 modes, because it is probably operating entirely in class A. However, with the wick turned up on the 88DB efficient speakers, the appears to be a marginal improvement is the bass response in class AB. That is, marginal with one ear. Interesting.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What's that wood stick holding the cartridge?
    Some piece of shite Steve found down at the local rubbish dump I think

I'm Justin.

Digital duties are now Meitner. We listened to it using Apple Music, but spent most of the time checking out the TT. Or at least I did

Steve prefers the Vitus to the Nagra VPAs, saying it doesn't draw attention to itself. I am a sucker for big triodes, and am not so sure I prefer it to the Modwright/Nagra VPA combo. It is certainly different, and I'd want to keep a valve and SS option just for the sake of change. But there's now quite a bit more space in the room, and a lot less heat. Running 4 845s in a small room really can get awkward, especially in the summer, so it is a change the brings about an overall improvement in comfort levels, together with a far more solid state sounding picture of things.

This is a pretty serious integrated amp. Power wise it certainly copes with the Raidho's without any obvious issues. I can't really nail it for any flaws, because I didn't hear any. As Steve says it doesn't really draw attention to itself. Therefore, by that criterion, logic dictates it must be and is a top performer!
    Last edited by User211; 30-12-2016 at 13:55.

I'm Justin.

Evaluating Steve's system with one ear is really not that sensible. When I can hear properly again I'll doubtless pop around again. Suffice to say with the limited amount I could hear the TT and Atlas cartridge appear to be absolutely top flight.

Thanks to Steve for having me round.

Here's a couple of room pics as it now stands:

I'm gone.

Coo - a proper high end audio extravaganza.

Looks fabulous.

I'm Justin.

From The Auteurs album New Wave. Playing this back here doesn't sound anything like it was in Steve's room so take it with a pinch of salt. Quite bass light in this recording... as are all the movies I take shot with this camera. Mids and highs are never that great either. Unsurprising.

So just a bit of fun, then. If you are wondering I am playing with the volume whilst this was shot at various stages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234