+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello to all!

I'm JJ.

Talking Hello to all!

Hi,
    Great to join the community. I have always had an interest in audio, from my first walkman to bigger and better systems. Never happy with what I could get off the shelf.

Mostly I have focussed on portable audio, using portable DACs by Ibasso and fiio, and investing in my beloved Sennheiser HD25s, which I happily modified.

I recently moved into a smaller place, so bought myself a Teac AH 300 system as the price/size/performance ratio seemed pretty good compared to what else I could afford. I also like the sound of a fully analogue set up, and can't fault the sound of the smooth 1bit DAC CD players, even if the uber expensive hybrid players now available will arguably be far better (but out of my budget ).

I primarily joined as I would like to modify my TEAC amp to work also as a pre-amp. I have a set of Alesis active studio monitors I love the sound of (not the best speakers technically but incredibly clean punchy sound, crystal highs and maybe just a bit too much bass, which I actually like).

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the mod, I'm handy with a solder iron, but not at reading circuit diagrams, or calculating impedance matching. As the active monitors have a gain control, I imagine I don't need to do anything in the pre amp modding to adjust sensitivity of the output, as I can do this using the gain on the power amps?

I see this mod has been done in the past, although so long ago pictures have vanished. I look forward to talking this all through with you all at some point.

cheers in advance,
    Jake

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Jake.

It might be a good idea to post your query, on modifying the TEAC to work as a preamp, in the DIY section of the Forum. That way those that know about these things will be able to offer you some help, advice and guidance.

If you can post some photos of your system in the Gallery, that would be nice.

What are your tastes in music?

Welcome again

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm JJ.

good to meet you Barry. That's good advice, I have posted a query in the drawing board forum, with a link to basically the same question someone else had posed.

I listen to pretty much everything. Everything from fleetwood mac, dire straights, michael jackson through metalica, led zeplin etc. all they way to NWA, jay z and even (I'm ashamed to say) some justin timberlake :-|.

I do like some electro and generally favour anything that is really cleanly produced, lovely mellow and punchy midbase is always a winner. crackly whine about (im guessing 14Khz.. isn't really my thing).

I love my HD25s, so will post some pics when I get the chance, but not got my home rig set up yet. I used to use Old Rotel amp with an cambridge audio cd5 connected to some eltax monitor 3s, but I've no space in my tiny flat, hence the teac reference 300.

I was also using a native instruments DAC (surprisingly good) with my PC and alesis monitors. Unfortunately, I've no space for a desktop no either... hence the desire for some pre outs on my Teac :-)

anyway, a long ramble, but hopefully will enjoy my time on the forum and be able to help others at some point too!

thanks
    Jake

I'm Geoff.

Hi Jake. Welcome to AOS.

We have quite a few members with headphone based systems, so you'll be in good company.

I see you've started a thread about the amp modifications you have in mind. I reckon somebody will be able to assist.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Jake.

Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread