+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker opinions - which ones (if any) should I take notice of?

I'm Martin.

I don't think there exisits a speaker that gets perfect reviews and that everyone likes without exception. Nothing you get will be perfect especially not for £250 even second-hand.

It can still be narrowed down to a shortlist though. If you can supply detials of room size, shape and furnishings, detials of the partnering kit (amp and source) and the sort of music that will be mostly played through them it will help a lot.

Also what sort of overall presentation you like. As Jerry says some people find Harbeth and Spendor a snoozefest, others swear by them so do you want polite and refined or a bit of sturm und drang?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Maybe it's just case of trusting brand and instinct.
    Phil, I have B&W DM603 S2 floorstanders that would fall in your budget s/h. They are not for sale but you would be most welcome to come over to audition them. You are not that far from me being in Meriden, it would be about a 45 minute journey around the M42/M40/M5.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

Might be interesting and useful to know the electronic boxes that comprise the rest of the system it occurs to me.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Phil, I have B&W DM603 S2 floorstanders that would fall in your budget s/h. They are not for sale but you would be most welcome to come over to audition them. You are not that far from me being in Meriden, it would be about a 45 minute journey around the M42/M40/M5.

Alan
    Thanks, Alan - I might take you up on that at some point if I get no joy elsewhere.

I'm Phil.

Ironically, I need a quick slew of opinions from you fine people on Klipsch RF52s.

Anyone?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Might be interesting and useful to know the electronic boxes that comprise the rest of the system it occurs to me.
    Andrew

AR turntable with Ortofon 2M Red cart, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono stage, Cambridge Audio amp (no idea of the model, but not anywhere near top of the range...probably the opposite, to be honest).

I'm matt.

Ironically, I need a quick slew of opinions from you fine people on Klipsch RF52s.

Anyone?
    I'd be surprised if they were any good because they never seem to get talked about on hifi forums.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I'd be surprised if they were any good because they never seem to get talked about on hifi forums.

Oh! I assumed that was a joke. Have I got it wrong?
    ABD.

I'm gone.

Anyone?
    Someone demmed a Klipsch speaker in this series a few years ago at Scalford. Looked very similar to the RF52.

I was very impressed - very clear and articulate, and the bass extension and definition was astonishing. I liked them a lot. Well worthy a listen, I'd say. Watch out for possible brightness at the top end, and partner carefully with amps etc.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Someone demmed a Klipsch speaker in this series a few years ago at Scalford. Looked very similar to the RF52.

I was very impressed - very clear and articulate, and the bass extension and definition was astonishing. I liked them a lot. Well worthy a listen, I'd say. Watch out for possible brightness at the top end, and partner carefully with amps etc.
    Cheers, Jerry - going to hear a pair on Sunday with a very accommodating eBay seller.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast