+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's been a long time and the system is rather different.

I'm Geoff.

Default It's been a long time and the system is rather different.

Dave I didn't think your comments were patronising atall; we can all only ever talk about our own experiences!

I'm always happy to try new stuff so perhaps the next bake off I host shall be preamps.

I have heard a few 801's and I much prefer the earlier models which were a 'cost no object' design by John Bowers' team. The later ones were voiced to sound more modern but I find them harsher, particularly the diamond tweeter models but hey, I can't afford a pair anyway so it's all good!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I heard the N801 first at a show in a huge room. No upper mids, which is a sort-of B&W trademark in many models. Although Abbey road has them, or had, I don't think they were liked overmuch. I also prefer the original 805/N805's as long as they're set high with the bass/mid units on axis and the tweeter above.

I've said before about us trying a QMI/Quatre Gain Cell. Bloody 'ell, we had the 801's tripping out, the overload lights on the KEF 105's blinking away and as well as hearing these two properly for the first time (all the power), I've NEVER heard early Isobariks sound as good as then with this amp driving them with 400WPC into 4 Ohms...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Fabulous system. The 801'a are still a great speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post

Sony TTS8000, Garrard 401, Nakamichi CA7 pre, Bryston BDA2 DAC, SBT, Nakamichi PA7 power and the Keith Monks.

The view from the listening position. No fancy photos here but you get the gist.

I'm Geoff.

Abbey road has them as do emi classical
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Geoff.

Here's my new DAC; seemed to go with the high end Japanese theme.
    This was an absolute statement piece by Technics in the early 90's at somewhere around $10k! Though that's nice to know, what's nicer is the way it sounds, looks and is built.
    Last edited by oldius; 05-09-2015 at 12:12.

I'm Martin.

Proper!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Looks stunning, Geoff.
    Was trying to remember what MASH stood for ... Multi-stAge noise SHaping?
    I remember the cheopo Technics players of the time sounding OK, rather more 'organic' than the Sony and Rotel competitors IIRC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123