+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's been a long time and the system is rather different.

I'm Martin.

Parquet floor. My favourite of all the floorings.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Ooooo I've got the hots for that PA7 amp.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post

A working TTS-8000 and a 401, very nice, very nice, indeed.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm brian.

Where is Bert. No picture of your room is complete without Bert. Bert is the main reason most of your visitors visit.

Looking good Geoff.

And yes, the Sony sounds as good as it looks. Difficult to compare with the Garrard as the 401 has a "better" arm and cartridge, but the Sony feels in the same league.

I'm Geoff.

I need to try an SME IV or v on it to get an idea. The deck was very high end at launch. It runs silently with perfect speed and comes in a resonance free plinth. I want to keep it original but it would be nice to try another arm without the expense of having another arm board made.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm brian.

[QUOTE=oldius;646106]I need to try an SME IV or v on it to get an idea.

QUOTE]

Geoff, I think Bob has a 4 that Im sure he would lend for you to experiment.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very nice Geoff, here's my 401-

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Very nice Geoff, here's my 401-

Hi Ali,

is your 401 in a slate plinth?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    What I discovered Dave was that in the size of the room that I now have the Nakamichi and 801 combination just works. I have tried various pre amps and phono stages but always come back to the CA7. I often think that other pre amps are more revealing and immediately impressive but if I keep listening I begin to appreciate that the CA7 reveals just as much but in a more subtle way.
    The last thing I wanted to be is patronising in any way, but it took the likes of an ARC of the time (not one of the rosy-coloured ones that came before or after) to show me what 'I' wanted. The CA7 is superbly made and finished I absolutely agree and the sound NEVER irritates. Like I said, it was getting to know hifi Dave that did it all for me

By the way, I heard a later set of 801's (minus positec-style protection) at my mate's mastering room at Decca when they were at Belsize Road and the tape he was playing sounded harsh (big HH MOS-FET amp). he turned the stands on their sides so the mid/tweeter 'pod' was firing over the meter bridge and he thought the sound better too. He mastered the first Decca Marianne Faithful LP and eq'd the sound to be natural on 801's as they were originally sited. The finished disc he received bit his head off in the treble and this was the last time he eq'd a master tape unless absolutely necessary due to storage or whatever. Bringing this story more up to date, when B&W introduced the Matrix 801, my old friend was given his 'old' pair of 801's on permanent loan. I heard them at his gaff fed by a bigger model Denon AV receiver and they sounded really good and far better than I remember them in the mastering studio/room he had.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Ali,

is your 401 in a slate plinth?
    Yes, a twin tier 30mm plinth.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast