+ Reply to Thread

Thread: greetings from Edinburgh

I'm Greg.

Default greetings from Edinburgh

Hi to all I'm Greg from Edinburgh - just joined and yet to have a good look through all the posts.
    My 16yr old son announced last week that he'd like to listen to some vinyl so her I am
    Back in the 80's I got into hifi myself and spent a ridiculous amount of money until marriage, kids, mortgages etc intervened and probably like a lot of us, the hifi gear had to go and in the intervening years I kind of lost the 'listening' thing even though music has always been on. When I think about it, the only time that I actually properly listen is in the car - thankfully I have a Range Rover with a Harmon Kardon system in it, but it's still not proper listening.
    Anyway - junior asking about vinyl got me thinking and I agreed to shell out for some equipment for him so off he went to surf the web and came back with a list of stuff - so I had to educate him a bit which ended up with me saying that I would put a few things together for him, purely as a very basic starter system.
    I've had a fun week raking ebay (and reliving my youth a bit ) and have ended up with a Dual 505-1, a Kenwood kac1030 amp which will likely be the first thing to be changed (a nice 80s Marantz would be nice) and after a slight bidding cockerel up I've got a pair of KEF Chorale 3s AND a pair of KEF Coda 3s arriving in the next couple of days - we'll just have to try them both out and see what suits his ears. The deal is that he will have to save up for any upgrades that he wants but for an outlay of around £120 i reckon that he's got a good start especially for someone who has grown up with mp3 & headphones.
    I'm looking forward to setting it all up and seeing his reaction on listening to vinyl for the first time.
    And suggestions for a slightly better amp are most welcome.

I'm Grant.

Welcome aboard Greg. Nice to find a 16 year old getting into vinyl. Now we just have to get you re hooked Any questions you wish to ask should be best put in the appropriate section where the majority of members are likely to see it. sure they will help.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Greg. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like your lad (and you) will have some fun. What music does he play?

I think you should get good responses if you visited our Blank Canvas section and start a thread outlining your ideas.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Greg.

I don't think there will be any problem getting me back in to it - it's started already its brought back the memories of first drooling over, then saving up for whatever I fancied - it's also brought back the memories of buying albums and reading all the sleeve notes whilst listening to whole albums.
    I worked my way through Sony, Pioneer, Technics,Kenwood, Marantz, Sansui, Mission, JBL & AR - but I always wanted a Nakamichi cassette deck - I'm not sure but was it a dragon? I never quite managed to do enough overtime to get one .

I'm Grant.

Yep there was a Dragon tape deck. cost a fortune if memory serves and very pretty. All I could afford was an Akai.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Greg.

His choice of music is very varied - I introduced him to Bowie & Floyd at an early age and thankfully his ear is open to just about anything - unlike my daughter who only listens to current chart excrement

I'm Rich.

Welcome to AoS,

A few months ago my wife's friend and her 16 year old daughter were staying with us and instead of putting some rubbish t.v. on to entertain her whilst they were catching up, she started browsing my record collection and asked if she could play some LPs. We were more than happy to let her be the DJ for the night and the next day she asked her mum for a turntable for Christmas.

She's now the proud owner of a technics and has brought her dad's collection of indie and alt stuff from the 90s out of loft retirement.

There is hope.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Greg.

Some of his friends have now shown a bit of interest in vinyl so it looks like both mine & my wifes collections will be brought out of storage and the house will be filled with vinyl listening teenagers I can only hope that it will infect my daughter and she might with a bit of luck start showing some interest in decent music.

+ Reply to Thread