Guys,

Some of you may know that I've recently upgraded my T/T PSU from the Paul Hynes SR5-21 to the new, and hugely over-specified, SR7EHD. Therefore, here are my thoughts on what has been been achieved, sonically. First, a some pics of the beastie, in order to get the ball rolling:

Front:

Back:

It also weighs a ton!

The 3-pin connection at the back is for Paul's Clearsilver XL lead, the claimed electrical benefits of which Paul will outline here shortly. I will have the lead in my possession soon, and will do a comparison between it and my silver DCSXL cable, fitted with Furutech CF-60 XLR plug, and FP-682F socket on the back of the PSU.

In order to fully maximise performance, the SR7EHD has also been fitted with a Furutech FI-10(R) Rhodium IEC inlet.

As the SR7EHD is slowly running in from new, I can hear exactly what it's doing with music - and what it's doing is quite astonishing..... Its huge reserves of current driving capability are allowing my T/T to deliver so far unrealised levels of musical analysis.

I suspect that this is due to further lowering the noise-floor delivered by the (already excellent) SR5-21, and simply giving the turntable's regulator and control circuitry an even easier ride, rather like I suppose fitting a bigger and better engine to a car, which has the inherent design capability to maximise the benefits of the increased 'horsepower', or slotting a better and more powerful amplifier into a system that is able to fully showcase its superior music resolving abilities.

Although such a huge power supply for the Technics is arguably WAY 'over the top', in terms of the measurable current it can draw (and some would therefore say unnecessary), listening tests clearly indicate that there are still significant sonic gains to be had by going down the over-specified transformer route. It is beyond question to my ears that, with the Technics SL-1200/1210, latent potential exists, waiting to be untapped, when the use of a judiciously over-specified external PSU is employed. Paul I'm sure will provide the technical rationale.

In short, with the introduction of the SR7EHD, my system, when playing vinyl, has subjectively more available 'headroom' in order to portray music with greater conviction. What this means, in real terms, is that timing is improved to the extent that rhythms are sync-locked to new levels of foot-tapping syncopation, and music is now underpinned with a security and authority, together with an overall effortlessness that I've never heard before from my modified SL-1210 (or indeed any T/T I've had experience of using), making for more believable and enjoyable listening to all genres of music.

Tunes are now driven along with an incredible (and indeed infectious) alacrity, seemingly unhindered by any recognised physical or technical restrictions of the vinyl reproduction chain, thus allowing rhythmic development within the musical structure full reign. This results in the unlocking of nuances in familiar recordings, which although present with the SR5 were, in comparison, somewhat 'held in check', resulting in their role in the musical picture being diminished and therefore less influential in allowing a faithful rendition of the music reproduced. Well, with the SR7EHD, that musical picture is now complete.

I can confidently say that the addition of the Paul Hynes SR7EHD has been a revelation, and no doubt it will become even more so, as the burning-in process continues towards its completion.

Anyway, enough typing, it's time to spin more tunes!

Marco.