+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thick stone floor - Would I benefit much from a wall shelf for my GOrbe TT?

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    When I saw the demo of Sound Steel products at Scalford last year, he used an accelerometer phone app to demonstrate the effectiveness of his isolation. Something like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.a10&hl=en I can't remember which one I have (my phone isn't to hand at the moment), but sensitivity is adjustable. Load one, place your phone on the table and try jumping up and down with the stylus on a record. Obviously not jumping ON the record! Then try the same with music playing loud, and place it on the deck and knock the table, etc, etc.
    Costs nothing and is fun to watch all the wiggly lines. You may be able to hold or tape your phone against the wall and try that.
    That's brilliant. And should worry some leading turntable companies. Too often, isolation is just something to which they pay lip service. Reviewers should use this app too, but they won't because the results would be too revealing.
    I'd love to see the results for, say, Rega and Linn. Then we'd see whether sprung isolation is worthwhile or not. In fact I'm going to get this app and try it on a range of decks.

I'm Richard.

Just bear in mind that these apps aren't very sensitve. Or very accurate. But (like cheap test meters) they ARE good at comparing like with like, so if one measures better than another, it probably IS better. If you had a signal generator (or app) you could find out at which frequencies there is any resonance. Hours of fun!
    And good reviews (HiFi News used to be good at this when I used to read it) do measure these things.
    ABD.

I'm Vesa.

Hi Gary, whatever you do, do nothing ;-) your set looks amazing as it is :-D
    Music is not made for listening HiFi...

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by VesaLato View Post
    Hi Gary, whatever you do, do nothing ;-) your set looks amazing as it is :-D
    Ah, but looks aren't everything.
    ABD.

I'm Gary.

Heh.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andy.

Gary could do with buying a decent T/T for a start.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Gary.

I'll dig out the old Dual 505 from the cupboard...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I'll dig out the old Dual 505 from the cupboard...
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

I'm Gary.

Actually Andy,
    Been meaning to pull on your coat about the Pedersen armboard mod?
    Currently have the Michell decoupling kit on my deck, room for improvement courtesy of Mr P's mod?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Actually Andy,
    Been meaning to pull on your coat about the Pedersen armboard mod?
    Currently have the Michell decoupling kit on my deck, room for improvement courtesy of Mr P's mod?
    Gary, just two words; BUY ONE

Then thank me later., seriously it is a great mod for relative buttons, bringing improvements across the board, a no brainer in fact.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast