+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird/ confused!!!

I'm Tim.

The Rega cd player works fine with the Emile......

Using another amp..Icon audio....the audiolab, and rega are fine....

The Emille only goes bizarre when using the audiolab
    Tim

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Definitely sounds like an input overload. An attenuator would solve it but this isn't an ideal solution. Done a check and its 2.8 which is quiet a bit over what the industry standard should be which is 2.

Regards Neil
    Not definately if the distortion only comes about after some time. He might have only tested with the Rega when the amp was cold..

I'm Tim.

hmmmmmmm
    Tim

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by lonergan2468 View Post
    hmmmmmmm
    Hmmm indeed!

Did the Audiolab work with the Emile before and is the distortion instant, both when the amp is cold and when it's been on for a while?

It's possible there is some kind of earthing arrangement with the Audiolab and associated cables which could cause distortion given some particular design of the Emile amp.... don't know what that might be, but I reckon it would be possible!

I'm Grant.

If its working fine with the other amp then its pretty much gonna be to much input for the amp in question. pity it doesn't have variable outputs

edit. if you can lay hands on a passive pre then you could use that to attenuate... better than just attenuators and more accurate.
    Last edited by struth; 03-05-2015 at 17:17.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

My Rega Planet CD Player works and plays fine with Dad's (lonergan2468) Emile amp at all times.

The Audiolab CD Player is causing the rough/distortion sounds through the Emile.

SIMPLES!!!

S.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by lonergan2468 View Post
    Creative audio advised me to do the factory restore setting...turn power off, hold for/back, then power on..etc..etc..ok..then played CD..after 20 mi .started to distort...

Here is the interesting bit..removed Emile...placed Icon audio amp..AUdiolab works fine..
    Not that simples! Because as stated in the quote above, the Audiolab also worked fine with the Emile amp! And it took a whole 20 minutes for the distortion to kick in.

What is time-based that can cause distortion? I can only think of something temperature based or something oddly software based (sounds like the Audiolab has software inside which can be reset, probably to do with receiver chips, memory buffers, modern dacs etc..).

When you tested the Audiolab with the Icon audio amp, how long did it take to swap them over, how long did you test it for? More than 20 minutes? Fault could be a temp related thing in the Audiolab but which didn't show itself with the Icon Audio amp because it was only tested quickly as anyone would, a quick test.

EDIT: in other words, no only does everthing need to be tested in different combinations to sort out where the distortion is coming from, but also at different temperatures for those different combinations.

I'm Paul.

I have had the very same amp for some while now and never had one single issue, nothing at all. I have stripped and examined the amp and circuit and it's pretty bomb proof to be honest and of very high quality, especially the transformers, where it matters. I have also played many different CDPs through it without a single issue. The CDP input will be configured (in this case) for a standard 2v CD input sensitivity and it's speculative at this case to assume that it is an overload but it is possible. I would suggest that you ask the guys who repaired the amp and know the circuit as they are the experts. I can only speak from the experience I've had but the Emille Ki-40L remains as one of the highest quality valve amps I've so far ever come across, so stick with it. It's probably something simple/overlooked, but asking Radford's who've had yours apart, I would suggest, is the best place to start!
    Last edited by Reffc; 04-05-2015 at 09:16.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Maybe there is DC offset coming out of the outputs of the player in question ? if the amp that has an issue with it has no capacitors in the front end to block this, then it could be upsetting the bias on the first gain stage of the amp, causing it to distort.
    Just a thought.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Paul.

Inside shot of amp Anthony if of any use for clues:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast