+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BIg Sony 700 ES v Big Technics SU VX-800 & Technics EQ Combo

I'm Robert.

Default BIg Sony 700 ES v Big Technics SU VX-800 & Technics EQ Combo

Having spent a few weeks with the 700 ES , I've been able to go through some of my fave familiar albums. The Sony is good and has gained a reputation as a classic integrated amplifier - a Sony statement piece. It oozes build quality both inside and out. It delivers a nice detailed sound in an unfazed, matter of fact kind of way BUT, it doesnt move me in the way that my Technics SUVX-800 integrated and Technics SH8055 eq combo do. The Technics combo really really spotlights what is going on in each individual recording / coupled with showcasing the qualities of the excellent 2M black, being micro detail retrieval, nuances, layers, separate parts, timbre and texture of instruments, the honesty / individuality of each recording, in a way the Sony alone does not resolve and portray. The overall flavour of the Sony is just not as analogue sounding as my Technics combo, the Technics combo is ace at this. There's more analogue, valve like warmth and more of a sense of realism to each recording that makes the Sony's presentation lean more to the digital side to my ears. The Technics combo has more soul and really latches on / highlights the 'feel' of each track. Really glad I scratched the big Sony ES integrated itch. It's definitely a good amp - I'll be moving it on though. I knew my system was sounding good but I've learned and appreciate even more now just how good. Secondly, I've also realised that 'audiophile snobbery' has to be avoided (I've felt obliged to ditch my eq at times) as quality of internal electrical componentry does not guarantee sonic boxes ticked. It's not what you've got, it's definitely how it sounds at the end of the day. My set up sounds a million dollars to my ears. That said I've had a speaker itch to scratch for some time now. My Mission 752 Freedoms have been a delight but I'd really like to try some big Spendors as an 'upgrade'... More on that to follow

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    .... as quality of internal electrical componentry does not guarantee sonic boxes ticked.
    An honest and very interestingly described post Rob

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm gone.

I had a Technics SU-MA10 amp for quite a while - looks similar in styling to your VX800 and the rear panel is pretty much identical!

The MA10 was very nice - I agree it had a fair dollop of 'added warmth' that the rather starker Sony ES sound lacks. More of a "valve like warmth" as you say, although I've had many a valve amp that wasn't warm sounding! - but I know what you mean.
    Imaging was a little bit smeared and bass wasn't ideally defined, but those concerns took a back seat as it was a very enjoyable sound that encouraged long term listening - I happily lived with it for a month or two as my amp of choice. I don't think I could do that with a Sony ES - too 'matter of fact'. Something musically important is lost in there, imo.

I'm David.

I have a Technics A700 mk2 and I really do not like the sound at all just to agresive to me, it might need some attention but getting it serviced is way down on my list of priorities, its in my pile of unused kit at the moment. Found it good in the kitchen when listening to none classical stuff as it could cut through all the noise from fridge microwave washing machine etc Replace it with a Yamaha AV reciever and that does lack guts but otherwise the sound from it is much better. The A770 mk2 is that bad its put me off buying any Technics kit past the new class A era.

My Sony ES amp FA30ES is another matter I think its wonderfull I kinda cant think how to describe it apart from detailed. Matter of fact might be one way to put it. Bleedin marevelous. Will be looking to uprade my ES amp as people do rave about certain models and very interested by all those knobs on the 700 ES.

Not having heard the actual amps Robert is talking about, as they may be very different to mine, but having a quick look on some images from google the guts of the Technics look similiar, its hard to compare and maybe having EQ in there helps. I am a great believer in EQs and that might be my next kit purchase.

I'm gone.

The Technics aggressive? - Coo, very different to my old SU-MA10 amp, that was a bit on the warm and cuddly side!

I'm David.

If I had the cash I would be geting it serviced partly to see if something is wrong with it
    I have a little su-x911 that I love, warm and cuddly might just describe it think I might have to set it up later in the week

+ Reply to Thread