+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A great afternoon

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    LOL yes very true Marco
    I have cringed at some of the things I have written after to many bottles of red wine

Hey Rich sounds like you had a great afternoon wish I could have come, Steve has a big meaty system and I have been meaning to pop round and have a listen to his proper Voyagers just to see if mine are complete boll*ks
    Hey Alan, From what I can remember from the last time I heard them which wasn't in their home setting, I formed an impression of 2 very different sounding amps depending upon the way that you and Les have built them. I guess only you or he would know what was different but Steve's seemed more upfront and yours had a bit more restraint. A big meaty system it is. Truly concert scale!

I'd like to hear them side by side one day though to see if my memory of how yours sounded was right.

You'd be welcome over anytime to hear my amps and system since all the changes which I think have been for the better with one or two hiccups along the way but getting there now. They've taken my system up quite a bit and I'm happy with how it's sounding overall. Like their designer, the amps speak for themselves and that's the main thing.

Last edited by RichB; 05-05-2015 at 23:27.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    Cheers alan , very much enjoyed our afternoon , your phono stage sounded great and bettered my own in my system , im hoping that replacing the output caps for something better will improve it, it seemed to have a bloom to the sound compared to your firebottle phono stage which sounded cleaner with a sharper image , its hard to describe the differences , but they were there for sure, which makes your firebottle a bit of a bargain, me phil.
    Thanks Phil,
    It seems like our short mention of a get together has been swamped by the greater discussion on this thread

I very much enjoyed hearing your impressive system and such a wide range of tunes. Many thanks also for the vinyl, sounds pretty stunning on my more humble sytem, particularly the bass on the title track Picture Book.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Alan.

Thanks Rich I would love to come back and listen to your new set up as well sometime, didn't have much time before and we were just tying to identify a problem so didn't get chance to hear your system at its best.
    I'm not getting much time off work at the moment with this new job but that should change shortly so I will be in touch

Its easy to Voice the Voyagers to a particular sound and I did deliberately tried to steer mine towards smother sound, but I have a few mods in mind which should tighten things up a bit, when I get some free time.

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Like their designer, the amps speak for themselves and that's the main thing.

Lol... Love it! Here's another good one:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Les.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I'm just waiting for Les Wolstenholme to come wading in now dishing out black eyes lol.

Just kidding Les, you can kick my butt around the car park at the next NEBO
    That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
    opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

I'm Steve.

This is the gentleman i have come to know and respect. Good to have your input as always Les.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avondale Audio View Post
    That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
    opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

I'm Rich.

Hi Les,

My comments on this thread were just in response to a discussion re context the amps were heard.

I honestly think that on HiFi these days there are a handful of people left who offer no compromise excellent gear at their various price points. In no particular order they are you, NVA, Glen Croft, Nick Gorham. I would also say Colin Wonfor but I've not experienced his amps yet. All of whom skin the cat in different but equally valid ways amd I could live with any of their kit in my system.

Anyway back to my original comments here, I enjoyed how your preamp worked with the NVA amps. Nice work I thought.

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Steve.

Marco where did you get the don't give a fuckometer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Love it! Here's another good one:

Marco.

I'm Alan.

Steve, just right click the image and select 'Copy image URL'

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8808/8rYGE7.gif

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345