+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A great afternoon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, please.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

It's got to be said:
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Had a great afternoon mixing it up with fellow AOS member Richie yesterday, A full Saturday afternoon of great music and tinkering. Having said that, It's going to cost me a fortune because Richie brought with him some great CD's and LP's which i am going to have to track down. Not least was an album by Younger Brother called Vaccine, brilliant. The highlight of the afternoon for me though was listening to Elbow live at Joderal Bank. That's already been ordered. We spent the afternoon swapping things in and out and i was pleased that Richie brought along his Techie with upgraded power supply as i am in the middle of such a project with mine. It sounded absolutely great. We slotted my old Ruark Crusader III's in for a while to give them an easier time and they just took everything we could through at them. Cracking amps for silly money.
    The biggest surprise is when we swapped speaker cables. Swapping my Witch Hat audio cable for Mark Grant's new hi fi cable filled out the sound and brought some warmth to the party. This was perhaps the biggest surprise of the day and i may just have a punt.
    A big thanks to Richie for an entertaining afternoon and for being kind enough to bring with him some great things to play with.
    which ones are the new mark grant speaker cables?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I must say how good a couple of un-twisted runs of RS 50 strand copper (or Maplin equivalent) can be in the context of benign speaker cables...... (we used this, albeit with conductors twisted together, back in the very early Naim days) I test amps with this stuff and nothing over-heats or seems to go unstable in the time it's used (up to a couple of hours)...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alan.

Why should you apologise for a [personal insults removed by admin] Steve? (That's my standing on the other gone down even more. Oh hang on it was at rock bottom anyway )

I can see where the 'context' comes in and can appreciate the technicality behind it, but polite and constructive criticism is surely welcome?
    I certainly welcome it.

Thank goodness for AoS,

Alan
    Last edited by Marco; 05-05-2015 at 17:05. Reason: Personal insults removed
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Rich.

I'm just waiting for Les Wolstenholme to come wading in now dishing out black eyes lol.

Just kidding Les, you can kick my butt around the car park at the next NEBO
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Les.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I'm just waiting for Les Wolstenholme to come wading in now dishing out black eyes lol.

Just kidding Les, you can kick my butt around the car park at the next NEBO
    That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
    opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

I'm Steve.

This is the gentleman i have come to know and respect. Good to have your input as always Les.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avondale Audio View Post
    That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
    opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

I'm Rich.

Hi Les,

My comments on this thread were just in response to a discussion re context the amps were heard.

I honestly think that on HiFi these days there are a handful of people left who offer no compromise excellent gear at their various price points. In no particular order they are you, NVA, Glen Croft, Nick Gorham. I would also say Colin Wonfor but I've not experienced his amps yet. All of whom skin the cat in different but equally valid ways amd I could live with any of their kit in my system.

Anyway back to my original comments here, I enjoyed how your preamp worked with the NVA amps. Nice work I thought.

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Alan.

Steve, just right click the image and select 'Copy image URL'

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8808/8rYGE7.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123