+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A great afternoon

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    As said many times before, so I feel I can say it again..

There is a potential issue with using (another) line buffer before the power amps as the latter have a high sensitivity and suitable input impedance so a PASSIVE preamp can be used with no issues. Rich uses an Icon Audio which should be perfect to the task. I think it's all been sorted out via PM's anyway, but I just wanted to respectfully add please, that NVA stuff is more of an integrated system, from input cables to speaker cables (I reserve judgement on Cubes etc. until I've heard them ). 'Just' taking a set of NVA power amps and 'plonking' them into a system of alternative bits and pieces isn't really going to give you the whole story and THAT is what upset the man behind them I think, as so much product was discussed it could all get muddled by some people and the amps aren't designed to just be plonked into any old setup without careful consideration of speaker cables etc. Glad you liked them anyway and it's all sorted now

Forgive the butt-in, but I thought I should respectfully point the above out if I may.
    Dave, appreciate you going on record with this. Context is everything.

Now that's done I'd suggest the mods lock this thread please as all thats likely to be said has been I think.
    Last edited by RichB; 04-05-2015 at 17:32.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Steve.

How about removing the thread all together? That would be best methinks. And you are correct Rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Dave, appreciate you going on record with this. Context is everything.

Now that's done I'd suggest the mods lock this thread please as all thats likely to be said has been I think.

I'm Phil.

Cheers alan , very much enjoyed our afternoon , your phono stage sounded great and bettered my own in my system , im hoping that replacing the output caps for something better will improve it, it seemed to have a bloom to the sound compared to your firebottle phono stage which sounded cleaner with a sharper image , its hard to describe the differences , but they were there for sure, which makes your firebottle a bit of a bargain, me phil.
    Phil.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Please note that i have removed reference to the NVA amps from my original post as the nothing but positive comments about them seem to have upset the designer/manufacturer.
    Sorry, Steve, I haven't got a clue what's been going on here. If this is something that's occurred elsewhere or via PM, then you need to put it into some logical context for those unaware of what's happened

I should add that we don't lock or delete threads here either, simply at folks whims. There has to be a very good (and acceptable) reason for us to carry out such action.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, Steve, I haven't got a clue what's been going on here. If this is something that's occurred elsewhere or via PM, then you need to put it into some logical context for those unaware of what's happened

I should add that we don't lock or delete threads here either, simply at folks whims. There has to be a very good (and acceptable) reason for us to carry out such action.

Marco.
    Understand that Marco, it appears my comments on this thread were responsible for a misunderstanding 'elsewhere on the web' wrt to the context and purpose of mine and Steve's get together. All has been clarified now but to prevent possible future misinterpretation of my intentions, I'd respectfully ask to close the thread.

Your call though

I'm Steve.

To conclude, Richie and i had a great afternoon as described above and some great music was played. Next tme we do it Marco i will have me camera at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Understand that Marco, it appears my comments on this thread were responsible for a misunderstanding 'elsewhere on the web' wrt to the context and purpose of mine and Steve's get together.
    Your mistake, Rich, was worrying about anything that man has to say. I certainly won't have him dictating the agenda here by putting pressure on AoS members because he doesn't like what they've written!! F*ck that. 'Too bad' is the appropriate response. So just ignore him.

All has been clarified now but to prevent possible future misinterpretation of my intentions, I'd respectfully ask to close the thread.

Your call though
    Like I said, you're entitled to write what you like about equipment you've heard, as long as it's your honest opinion, minus any unfair bias. Therefore, whether that results in any 'possible misinterpretation of your intentions', by banned members elsewhere, is immaterial. Your opinion is your opinion. It is not something that others should be controlling.

In that respect, I see no logical reason to lock the thread, so it will remain open for others to comment if they wish. Above all, however, I will not allow AoS to be disrupted by disputes occurring elsewhere, so if that happens, don't bring it here. I don't want to know about it.

Therefore, if Mr Dunn has a problem with something you've written here about his equipment, take it up with him on his own forum. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    To conclude, Richie and i had a great afternoon as described above and some great music was played. Next tme we do it Marco i will have me camera at the ready.
    Nice one, Steve. I appreciate that. I think I'll post a sticky in this section of the forum asking folks to bring cameras with them to meets/bake-offs, as pictures (of the gear listened to) make the subsequent reports much more interesting for other members to read

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Therefore, if Mr Dunn has a problem with something you've written here, take it up with him on his own forum. Cheers!

Marco.
    Indeed I did Marco and the matter has been resolved. My ask was primarily to prevent any further discussion of the products which were not thought to have been considered in their proper context. I have accepted that they were not applied as their designer would intend and ask that others reading the thread take this into consideration.

As forum owner you get the say, I disagree with but accept your decision not to lock the thread.

That's fine, Rich. My main gripe was RD attempting to 'control' you, through censorship. I won't tolerate that here towards any AoS member.

The other thing is the way in which it was done. Rather than contact you and calmly ask to take into consideration that the equipment in question is being used out of its intended context, he creates conflict by being abrasive and confrontational, which I guess is par for the course with the man. Anyway, the least said there the better.

I would state, however, that I've had excellent results using NVA amps 'out of context', when indeed I partnered a pair of them with my Croft preamp (at a bake-off where Macca and I were present), and the resulting sound was superb, so I'm not sure where that fits in with the 'used out of context' argument.

In reference to locking threads, that only happens when there's been some sort of fracas and/or when someone has been abusive, or when an argument has become circular, and therefore needs nipped in the bud. As none of that is applicable here, the thread remains open.

No disrespect, but we simply can't just close threads, willy-nilly, when the OP (or any other member) decides that they've served their purpose, otherwise we'd end up with an untidy mess of locked threads all over the place - and that looks bad. Therefore, when threads here are locked, that's our (the mod team's) decision to make, mate, no-one else's, and it's usually only done as a last resort.

Do remember, and this is a general point aimed at everyone, when posting on a forum that there always exists the potential for repercussions, so make sure that before you hit the 'Reply' button, that you're totally happy with what you've written, and that it's an honest and accurate reflection of your opinion. When the shit hits the fan, it's often too late afterwards to take things back!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast