View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

2 22.22%
  • 8/10

4 44.44%
  • 9/10

2 22.22%
  • 10/10

1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, May 2015: The Jam – ‘Setting Sons’

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, May 2015: The Jam – ‘Setting Sons’

This month's (May) Album Club choice comes courtesy of Graham (Tom-Brown) with The Jam - 'Setting Sons'. Please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

The Jam - 'Setting Sons'

The Jam - 'Setting Sons', Polydor 1979. The Jam's 4th album and drifting a little from the "mod" mode into social comment!! But as a 17yr old fan and being a "Saturday Kid" and having a "Girl on the phone" it still brings back great memories for me!!! Still current after all these years - a genuine classic in the making, even with a bit of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas thrown in as well!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setting_Sons

https://open.spotify.com/album/5AyXuji5IMTkCAlM5JIn0z

http://www.discogs.com/Jam-Setting-Sons/release/403169

I'm John.

We'll smile but only for seconds,
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion,
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world

9/10

All Mod Cons would get a 10/10.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Andy.

Great LP, good choice,saw this group a load of times around this period ( in me pomp) some slightly sad songs on side 1, then Side 2 lets its hair down, 8/10 from me.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    We'll smile but only for seconds,
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion,
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world

9/10

All Mod Cons would get a 10/10.

John
    Just saw this;

x16, All Mod Cons is a true modern classic.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent choice, I really enjoyed listening to this. In the past I have found The Jam to sound a bit dated and as a consequence I much preferred the work of Paul Weller in his solo career. But 'Setting Sons' was new to me and has since caused me to change my opinion of The Jam.

This is what the Album Club is all about. 8/10 from me - nice one Graham.
    Barry

I'm Graham.

Glad it's found some fans I'm even more pleased that I just managed to get a record store day 180g new album for Ł13 inc shipping off t'bay even though my original version plays great!!!

I'm Grant.

Always liked the jam in the day, along with the clash and a few others, but mostly punk has aged a fair bit. Fortunately setting sons was one of their best. Thick as thieves and heatwave are 2 of my favorites plus an album version of eaton rifles cant be bad for one album. TBH the other tracks are samey to a point that having not heard them for some time, now they sounded pretty much the same.

All in all a sound 7/10, and on a good day 8. Nice to relisten to and probably wouldn't have without Album Club.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Barry.

I also like Weller's solo stuff better , I did like The Jam when they were happening , in fact I bought the single "In The City".
    I enjoyed Settings Sons , Eton Rifles best song , Heatwave was a precursor to The Style Council stuff by the sound of it.
    7/10

I'm keith.

love this album the 3 releases all mod cons, this and sound affects are 3 of the best consecutive releases by any band for me.

I'm Loz.

Strangely enough I listened to this just a few days ago before seeing this. I really liked The Jam over the years, not one of my favourite bands from that period but still a really great record. Wasteland and Thick as Thieves, enough said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast