+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Mike New bearing?

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have just oiled my VPI bearing with some Origin live oil - very good stuff indeed.

A review of bearing oils was done and this one came out top - spin test (amount of revolutions after spinning up and leaving to stop)
    +1 for the Origin Live oil - I use it in my Systemdek, and it is excellent.

Mike_New Guest

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    How come the oil never needs changing?
    Hi Andrew,
    I have just picked up this thread (Sunday Afternoon) and I believe I have answered your question on the "Mike New Bearing" Thread or else where.
    The general answer is that the bottom vertical support bearing-well is sealed.
    The lateral support bearing is a honed and oil impregnated syntered hard Phos-Bronze insert. And as such does not really need any oiling.
    I supply a small syringe of oil to seal the top of the bearing from dust more than for lubrication.

I'm Andrew.

Yep, I saw that when you posted.

Superb explanation!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    +1 for the Origin Live oil - I use it in my Systemdek, and it is excellent.
    if it's an original Systemdek with the spiral cut into the spindle, the design used EP80 or even EP90 in the earliest ones, doe to viscosity and thickness.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    if it's an original Systemdek with the spiral cut into the spindle, the design used EP80 or even EP90 in the earliest ones, doe to viscosity and thickness.
    My one is a later model with the plain spindle, resting on a ball bearing. The Origin Live oil is just fine. But I do have plenty of EP80/90 in the garage should I ever need it. More likely to use it in axles and steering boxes though!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12