+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Martin.

I guess that they could just ban the ones that go bang. I mean it is mainly a visual thing anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Just bought these vintage Eagle CT10 horn tweeters. Yes, I know, most will roll their eyes at the name Eagle, but these were made by Coral for them and actually sound really nice. I've used them before. I still have a 16 ohm pair but I'd been after an 8 ohm set for a while. They'll fit in with a project I have in mind. I'll need to use an 'L' Pad though, the sensitivity is 106 db.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

I used these Geoff with rather sensitive tweeters : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monacor-Sp...72.m2749.l2649

A reasonable 8 ohm match across the whole travel.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I used these Geoff with rather sensitive tweeters : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monacor-Sp...72.m2749.l2649

A reasonable 8 ohm match across the whole travel.
    I've got a bunch of 8 ohm 'L' pad pots Alan.

I'm sure I'll come up with something suitable, even if it's just a couple of series/parallel resistors to trim things down.

By the way, do you know the insertion loss from a resistor 'L' pad?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

As ever Google is your friend. Here's a good one:
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm

I'm Geoff.

Ah. Funny you should point that one out Alan. I looked at the same one this morning.

It gives attenuations, but there's an insertion loss as well. I'm assuming it's a couple of DB. It's certainly noticeable with pot type attenuator with 0db cut, so I figured the resistor option should do the same.

I'm Geoff.

Back to the project in hand. My sixties corner speakers. I'm patching up areas of damaged veneer.

The grill cloths are disgusting. Possibly washable, but easily replaced if need be.

Couple of veneer nicks patched. They'll look fine with a sand down, a touch of filler and a bit of colour matching.

More to do though.

It'll all come up like new by the time I've finished. Then I'll have to decide what drive units will be in them.

I'm Grant.

was that the philips ones?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    was that the philips ones?
    Yup!

I'll probably (reluctantly) flog the Philips drivers. They should fetch a bob or two and the cash would be handy. Just wondering if I'd get a significantly better price with them in the cabinets. Most uses have their own ideas as to enclosures for those drive units.

I'm Geoff.

Gone from this:

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    To This:

All veneer repaired. Grille cloths sorted, sprayed them cream in situ. Removing the baffles was awkward and not necessary.

Bit of colour matching to finish on the veneer, then a coat of satin varnish. Terminals to fit on base instead of the captive leads they came with. Drivers to mount and wire up, then they're done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast