+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Next?

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Get one?
    Nope. Just looking back, at the times when I heard your example.

S.
    Shane Lonergan........UB1 Birth.

I'm Geoff.

This nice little pre-amp has too high an initial output to be a comfortable match to the Quad 306. I've checked the volume pot and it's a 10k item. I'll bung a 100k pot in and see if that makes the volume roll-in a bit more user friendly.

Well, I've just put this Moth Series 30 pre-amp back together.

The case and front panel have been resprayed black and I've changed the volume pot from 10k to 100k in the hope of making it slightly more progressive. It looks a sight better with the black front, as opposed to the light wood colour it had before.

This is a really nice sounding little unit, very clear and detailed. Funny thing is it sounded a bit coarse on switch on, but smoothed out over the first quarter of an hour.

One annoying thing is the replacement pot having an imbalance. Left is quieter than right. Can't have that. It'll have to be changed (again ).

Last edited by walpurgis; 07-06-2017 at 22:19.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Grant.

Might not be the pot but just being shown up with the. 100k
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Geoff.

I have other pots to try. We'll see.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Shane.

I have other pots to try. We'll see.

You junkie!!

S.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    You junkie!!

S.

Mr. Tact!

I'm Geoff.

KEF Corellis.

Why do I keep using them when I've got a beautiful pair of big Tannoys stood right behind them? Not sure really. The Tannoys sound bloody marvellous, but there's something about the Corellis. They're very musical, detailed and transparent. No lack of body either. It's just a nice listen.
    Mr. Tact!

I'm Shane.

Looking good, Geoff!

S.

I'm Grant.

A different sort of goodness. A change is as good as a bit of sex
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Geoff.

Power amps everywhere.

Top right in the rack, Modern Classic Tubes CT15 Class A EL34 monoblocks. Below, Quad 306, sitting on Monarchy Audio SM-70 on right and on left, Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro.

Not a bad one there. Just listening to the creamy smooth SM-70 Pro at the moment. Boy does this thing let the speakers image, almost holographic!

It's just had a new power transformer, courtesy of Alan (Firebottle) who's done a great job. Cheers mate!! So glad to get it back.
    Mr. Tact!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast