+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the (upgrade) road?

I'm Kevin.

Default The end of the (upgrade) road?

Having added a second set of Taket Batpure supertweeters to my system, and having tweaked my VTA slightly, I feel that my HiFi journey is now on the finishing straight, getting close to the end. It is nearing the time to sit back and enjoy what I have and listen to more music. Realistically speaking it is going to take some serious cash (or lucky purchases) to improve on what I have. Yes, there are still the "I wonder" moments where I fancy trying something else, only to find it is no better, just different. The only thing still niggling away at me is the speakers. The Electric Beach FH3s are very good, but sometimes I feel myself wanting a bit more slam/depth (did someone mention Edingdales?).

Since I joined AoS 5 years ago, a lot has changed.
    I have gone from playing nothing but CD, to almost nothing but vinyl.
    A few new components have come and gone.
    I have played with cables until I found how good the Klotz MC5000 and the Sommer CarboKab 225 are, and stopped looking.
    I have meddled with speaker cables, making some good DIY ones, before changing speakers and using some good quality copper cable.
    Cartridges have gone from MM to MC and back again, with a few coming and going, leaving me a nice selection to suit all moods and moments.
    The TT has gone from one of the most common decks available to something pretty unique and to something I really like the sound of.
    I have changed my opinion on how important power is, and that mains cables can make a difference. I would never have believed it if I hadn't tried it for myself.

Although I know that there is always something better out there, I have got to the point where I just don't care anymore.
    Most importantly though, I have learnt a lot from my time here, and I thank you for your patience.

During my time here at AoS, I have made new friends and acquaintances. Don't get me wrong, this is not a farewell, more of a "à bientôt".
    I will drop in from time to time, just to say hello and catch up on the news.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

I have watched your journey Kevin as it has been similar to mine and know where you have got too as I have reached this stage as well . Yes you can always buy other stuff but I have found other items are just different and not always any better, hence I feel quite happy with my system and I am sure you will agree it's now more about the music and not the system!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

I totally agree.
    It sounds great now. I recently did a comparison between my first system I ever bought, one I lived with for 10 years and what I have now.
    At the time of owning each system, I was happy with it, but there is no competition to which I prefer.

The money I would normally spend on HiFi components is being redirected to vinyl. both new and old.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Nice on Kev. I am the
    Same in that Ive finished my journey now. Thought I'd finished a few times but glad to say. Definitely finally.

Don't be too much of a stranger
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

That's good news Kevin, and a good place to be. Well done.

Looks like you will have to change your avatar now!

Enjoy your system - but don't become too much of a recluse. Keep in touch

Barry
    Barry

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Having added a second set of Taket Batpure supertweeters to my system, and having tweaked my VTA slightly, I feel that my HiFi journey is now on the finishing straight, getting close to the end. It is nearing the time to sit back and enjoy what I have and listen to more music. Realistically speaking it is going to take some serious cash (or lucky purchases) to improve on what I have. Yes, there are still the "I wonder" moments where I fancy trying something else, only to find it is no better, just different. The only thing still niggling away at me is the speakers. The Electric Beach FH3s are very good, but sometimes I feel myself wanting a bit more slam/depth (did someone mention Edingdales?).

Since I joined AoS 5 years ago, a lot has changed.
    I have gone from playing nothing but CD, to almost nothing but vinyl.
    A few new components have come and gone.
    I have played with cables until I found how good the Klotz MC5000 and the Sommer CarboKab 225 are, and stopped looking.
    I have meddled with speaker cables, making some good DIY ones, before changing speakers and using some good quality copper cable.
    Cartridges have gone from MM to MC and back again, with a few coming and going, leaving me a nice selection to suit all moods and moments.
    The TT has gone from one of the most common decks available to something pretty unique and to something I really like the sound of.
    I have changed my opinion on how important power is, and that mains cables can make a difference. I would never have believed it if I hadn't tried it for myself.

Although I know that there is always something better out there, I have got to the point where I just don't care anymore.
    Most importantly though, I have learnt a lot from my time here, and I thank you for your patience.

During my time here at AoS, I have made new friends and acquaintances. Don't get me wrong, this is not a farewell, more of a "à bientôt".
    I will drop in from time to time, just to say hello and catch up on the news.
    Good on you Kev that's a good place to be hopefully I will not be far behind I would much rather buy lots of lovely vinyl kick back and just enjoy the music as others have said don't be to much of a stranger
    Best wishes mate
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac