+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Default Deaf Row!

Is this really a good idea? I just bought these Tannoy T145 Ascots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Asc...vip=true&rt=nc

They are amongst the least sought after pepperpot dual concentric models. The early plastic cones not being popular and the purists put off by the ceramic magnets. However, the ten inch drivers can be fitted with the excellent paper pulp Eaton or SRM 10B cones, which makes them far more serious contenders. Some don't take the 10" Tannoy DCs very seriously, but they actually pack a decent punch, face it ten inches is not exactly small. I have possible plans for the drivers and the resulting speaker system may surplant my current (and very fine) Cheviot II speakers.

Stock image:

I'll bung some proper photos here once I've picked these up.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 16-09-2020 at 09:03.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

Cool..

I like the 10" and 12" DC's... I always felt that the cabs let them down but these do look great! Get the re-coned, refreshed crossover and they should be keepers.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Grant.

Bigger drivers than they look. Are they going with your philips ones?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cool..

I like the 10" and 12" DC's... I always felt that the cabs let them down but these do look great! Get the re-coned, refreshed crossover and they should be keepers.
    I intend to recone them once I source the right cones. That may take a little while. Annoyingly a mint set of Eaton cones with good rubber surrounds sold on eBay recently. They'd have been perfect, but at that time obviously, I didn't know these would come along.

I'd really like to house these drivers in (comparatively) compact transmission line cabinets. Never seen Tannoy DCs in such cabinets yet. The 12" is a little large for a domestically sized TL box, but the 10" should be OK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Bigger drivers than they look. Are they going with your philips ones?
    No, the Philips are a separate project. Which I must sort soon. They don't need much work.

Trouble is I'm currently working on these instead:

A couple of nice vintage cabinets into which I'm installing a pair of high sensitivity full range 8" drivers (not the Philips), to use with my Rafaelite 6V6 valve amp.

Too many projects on the go really.

I'm Grant.

They look pretty solid built. Keep you busy all those jobs.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

My experience with Tannoy speakers is very limited.

The longest experience I had was with the Prestige Sandringham. I think they have 8'' Dual Concentric drivers. Nicely made cabs...same goes to the grill covers.

S.

I'm Geoff.

These are they!

To go in my spare vintage cabs. Weedy little full range 8" units from Taiwan, which have pretty small magnets and a peak power handling of 10 watts. Funny thing is, when I tried them in free air using my little valve amp, they sounded really nice. I reckon they will do a decent job. I have other full range drivers I can swap over to if I'm not happy anyway.

I'm Grant.

dont need huge magnets and the sensitivity looks good. no mucking about with complicated xovers either
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

That's what I thought. Keep it simple. I've got a box of spare tweeters and just might add one with a small cap, to come in at say 12 kHz, to give the top a little more. We'll see. Need to work my port size now. Tempted to use a resistive port.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast