+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

I'm Phil.

Oh, and as glorious as it is, I've decided against the Pro-ject.

Beyond my budget at the moment, sadly (not to mention being akin to strapping a Lamborghini bodyshell to a Vauxhall Viva engine).

I'm Geoff.

I'd be inclined to hang onto the AR turntable, unless you come across something that seriously outclasses it and that would cost a few bob. Spend some money on good cables for the whole system and the get best cartridge the AR arm will take. My starting point (this is just my view), would be to think about upgrading from the Cambridge amp more than likely. Which model is it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd be inclined to hang onto the AR turntable, unless you come across something that seriously outclasses it and that would cost a few bob. Spend some money on good cables for the whole system and the get best cartridge the AR arm will take. My starting point (this is just my view), would be to think about upgrading from the Cambridge amp more than likely. Which model is it?
    Geoff

My turntable tech in Aldridge told me to keep it, too...advised against replacing the arm (my first suggestion to him) and told me to install either the Ortofon Red or Blue cartridge. He also advised me to upgrade from my current (basic) Pro-ject phono stage to something a bit meatier. Any ideas on what I could replace it with?

Can't recall what the model of the amp is (it's far from even being on nodding terms with their top-of-the-range, though), but I'll look later. What would you suggest as a step up?

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the TDLs with Kefs - good idea/bad idea?

I'm Grant.

the Schiit mani phono stage is very good for not a lot of cash. Slee do nice ones as do trichord...in fact there is a dino on sale in the classifieds here or was..they are very good too.had one once myself
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Cheers, Grant. I'll go and mooch.

I'm Geoff.

Your adviser is right Phil. Keep the AR and bung a good MM cartridge on. I don't use modern ones myself so can't advise on that, my taste is sixties/seventies MM cartridges.

I swear by (and use) Graham Slee phono stages. At their model price points they have little competition, but no doubt others enjoy different units.

As for a change of amp. Well you need to think about what type of speakers you are likely to end up with really and at what probable cost. High efficiency speakers need less power, other speakers more. I personally tend towards Class A solid state amps or valve units of moderate power, as they offer much and I like that type of sound.

Moving from TDL speakers to KEF is not something I'd do myself. I've not heard a KEF speaker I liked that much since the seventies, but I'm biased as I was rather fond of the original 'C' range.

Many modern speakers, such as Focal or B&W as well for instance, strike me as an exercise in technical ability rather than something to hear music enjoyably through. I just don't get on with that kind of soulless analysis of music. Just my view.

It would be useful if you could suggest what your budget for system changes might be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Your adviser is right Phil. Keep the AR and bung a good MM cartridge on. I don't use modern ones myself so can't advise on that, my taste is sixties/seventies MM cartridges.

I swear by (and use) Graham Slee phono stages. At their model price points they have little competition, but no doubt others enjoy different units.

As for a change of amp. Well you need to think about what type of speakers you are likely to end up with really and at what probable cost. High efficiency speakers need less power, other speakers more. I personally tend towards Class A solid state amps or valve units of moderate power, as they offer much and I like that type of sound.

Moving from TDL speakers to KEF is not something I'd do myself. I've not heard a KEF speaker I liked that much since the seventies, but I'm biased as I was rather fond of the original 'C' range.

Many modern speakers, such as Focal or B&W as well for instance, strike me as an exercise in technical ability rather than something to hear music enjoyably through. I just don't get on with that kind of soulless analysis of music. Just my view.

It would be useful if you could suggest what your budget for system changes might be.
    Cheers, Geoff.

Taking your advice, keeping the AR. Dropping it with my tech bloke tomorrow - having him fit an Ortofon MM (probably the Red, although I might just think 'sod it' and go for the Blue) and do a service.

Also asking if he stocks a better phono stage than the one I'm now using and then I'll look at changing the amp. I'll look at replacing the TDLs at a later date - it might be that everything else is positive enough to make me keep them for a while longer.

I'd have loved Dave's perspex Pro-ject (who wouldn't?), but it would have been incongruous in performance and appearance if it was part of my system.

Only been on here for a short time, but I love this place.

I'm Geoff.

Ask the provider of your cartridge to ensure you get one with a compliance of say 20cu or above, as the AR arm is not a high mass device.

I'm Phil.

Ask the provider of your cartridge to ensure you get one with a compliance of say 20cu or above, as the AR arm is not a high mass device.
    Didn't read this until now, Geoff - took the TT over to the tech in Aldridge earlier today. He's good though...all should be well.

Won't get it back until Wednesday (by which time I might also have a new phono stage), so I'll update you as to any improvements I experience.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Didn't read this until now, Geoff - took the TT over to the tech in Aldridge earlier today. He's good though...all should be well.

Won't get it back until Wednesday (by which time I might also have a new phono stage), so I'll update you as to any improvements I experience.
    I'll look forward to hearing what you end up with and how you get on with it.

There's one make of decent MM cartridges that has changed hardly at all in basic design in the last forty years and that's Grado. Many people overlook them because they are not high profile like Ortofon, Audio Technica or Nagoaka for instance, but I've always found them very pleasant and capable. Even the low priced models sound sweet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast