+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Music Hall mmf2.2 motor needs repair

I'm Mike.

Default Music Hall mmf2.2 motor needs repair

I purchased a used Music Hall mmf2.2 turntable. I didn't know it was defective and can't return it. After I play a side of a LP it runs hot and the motor makes a buzzing sound. The motor is a Pro-Ject synchronous 400.
    I tried lubing the motor and that didn't help. I can not see how to open the motor to look see if I can see anything out of the ordinary. Does anyone know how to open up the motor? A replacement motor is $50usd and would make my used purchase a poor investment. Is a new motor the only recourse I have to repair my turntable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jason.

I would think it is. Might be worth contacting Music Hall themselves though, and seeing if they can help you - they have a good rep for customer service. They're a rare brand over this side of the pond. Project have the lions share of the market here, having much of the same DNA as they do. I believe the motors are interchangeable - so might broaden your scope for parts.

Have you checked the obvious - is the platter spinning freely? Have you tried running the motor with no load to see what happens? What gets hot, the motor or deck? If the latter it may be something awry with the speed control or PSU assuming it's inbuilt...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Geoff.

I believe Music Hall turntables are what we know as Pro-Ject here. If the motors are low voltage as opposed to mains voltage they may be interchangeable and used ones do crop up on eBay UK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Music Hall tables are made in the same Pro-Ject factory. The motor and tonearm are Pro-Ject. The differences are small. ProJect is also available in USA.
    I did contact Music Hall and they said to buy a new motor, so I was hoping for a repair I may be able to try. I contacted ProJect about the motor and haven't heard back yet.

+ Reply to Thread