+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Logitech Touch now launched

Quote Originally Posted by nb2 View Post
    I also find very little difference between the TC-7520 and the internal Squeezebox dac.
    I thought I had better listen again, and connected the line out form the Squeezbox directly to the Quad 405-2 relying on a few dB digital attenuation in the Squeezebox.

I have now adjusted to Caiman standards. The Squeezebox line out is rough in comparison.

I still think the 7510 is better that the SBs internal DAC, but I am relying on memory, and when last I tried that line out of the 7510 I would have had a Quad 77 Pre-amp in the chain. I cannot comment on the 7520 - I have not heard it.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I thought I had better listen again, and connected the line out form the Squeezbox directly to the Quad 405-2 relying on a few dB digital attenuation in the Squeezebox.

I have now adjusted to Caiman standards. The Squeezebox line out is rough in comparison.

I still think the 7510 is better that the SBs internal DAC, but I am relying on memory, and when last I tried that line out of the 7510 I would have had a Quad 77 Pre-amp in the chain. I cannot comment on the 7520 - I have not heard it.
    There must be something about the SB / beresford combination that is just incompatible - I've never had a SB, but I can't believe some people cannot hear a difference between the two.

My first foray into computer Audio was to buy a Trends UD-10 because the common consensus seemed to be that the internal dac was quite a way superior to a basic SB. Despite this it didn't take me long to realize it was still pretty lousy really, so I introduced the 7510 into the chain and the difference was night and day. So I'm struggling ot understand why a basic SB could compare to any beresford

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post

If you want a fair comparison, you have to disable any attenuation and volume control on the Squeezebox.

I have had my current setup for about 6 monthes now.
    The Beresford TC-7520 LM4562NA is connected on one input of my amplifier.
    The analog output of the Squeezebox Classic to another one.

I just have to switch between those 2 inputs to switch between the Squeezebox and the TC-7520

I try from time to time to change the current input, for more or less long time, on different kind of music.

Honestly, after six monthes, if I don't remember which input is used, and don't look at that, I can hardly guess which one is used.

If I listen very carefully, I'd say that the TC-7520 may be a little more on the "brigth side"
    And this is not necesseraly an improvement.
    Sometimes, I think the Squeezebox is somewhat more "Classy", not trying to "make too much".
    Not sure if this is clear ...

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    There must be something about the SB / beresford combination that is just incompatible - I've never had a SB, but I can't believe some people cannot hear a difference between the two.

My first foray into computer Audio was to buy a Trends UD-10 because the common consensus seemed to be that the internal dac was quite a way superior to a basic SB. Despite this it didn't take me long to realize it was still pretty lousy really, so I introduced the 7510 into the chain and the difference was night and day. So I'm struggling ot understand why a basic SB could compare to any beresford
    My conclusion so far, is that advice on piece of gear I can find on Internet, often comes from people who have never heard it.
    It can be a hint, but it is irrelevant until I actually hear it.
    "common consensus" is everything but reliable.

It is quite easy to ruin the Squeezebox quality with incorrect setup.
    People who can spend days and weeks adjusting the smallest things on a classic setup, are ready to dismiss something like a squeezebox after one hour listening, with obvious basic mistakes is the setup.

I have a simple explanation for that.
    You find much more enthousiastic feedback from self convinced people who want to share there satisfaction on extensive periods of time
    Much less from disapointed people, may be they write their feeling once, then they switch to something else.
    Last edited by nb2; 07-09-2009 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    Dunno, the touch will have it's own power supply. I was assuming I could use one of them portable hard drives, but your question is valid. Someone will have to go fishing on the SB forum.
    Apparently the answer is Yes ...
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...757#post455757

And digital outputs and internal DAC may be better than the Squeezebox Classic.
    I think I'm going to wait the squeezebox touch, before shopping for another dac ...

I have to admit I did detect a very, very small difference (possibly a small improvement in the vocals) when I used a Beresford DAC with my SB3. I'd previously tried other DACs and heard no difference at all, so I had become a bit of a cynic regarding DACs and what they do. So, having heard a small difference I sold the Beresford now convinced that a difference can actually be had but not knowing what to buy that will be a vfm upgrade over the DAC inside the SB3. The Beresford was ok for the price but I didn't think it was doing much really. I've been thinking of NOS dacs, but that's all I've done about it so far. I may even leave it altogether because I'm basically very happy with the sound from my naked SB.

Brian

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have to admit I did detect a very, very small difference (possibly a small improvement in the vocals) when I used a Beresford DAC with my SB3.
    Yeah, that's about the size of it, there's a difference, maybe, maybe not, who cares, innit ?

Not worth the visual clutter and extra cables in my set of values. I wonder where you have to go for a better performance?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.