+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Logitech Touch now launched

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Myself and others have found the same thing-no appeciable difference using an SB with an earlier Standac or via the SB's own outputs.The Caiman my be a different story however.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Why is that Brian?
    Because both the optical and coaxial S/PDIF connection between a Squeezebox and a 7520 or Caiman would be at least as good as a USB connection. S/PDIF would probably be better.

And because the use of S/PDIF does not require digging deep into the Linux of the Logitech Touch.

And because, as I said, the USB socket is best left free for other uses.

If there was a need to marry a Touch to a USB only external DAC, that would be a different case.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Neal.

Attaching USB storage doesn't interest me (I'll continue to stream over a wired network) but streaming higher bitrate audio does and given the limitations of SPDIF even at 44.1/16 trying to use 24/96 is likely to make the problems worse. So streaming over a differential bus would seem to be a better choice and I'm reading good things about Stans 7520 in USB mode....

There is only one file to be changed as far as I could tell from the link you posted and the f/w may get fixed in the future anyhow...I think its worthy of investigation...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Assuming the integrity of the analogue replay chain, there must be an issue with interconnects or interfaces, or you have a rogue Standac. Have you asked Stan?
    No, I didn't ask Stan. I've already sold the Dac, so the point is moot. I found with an airport express that the Dac was essential and an enormous boost.

I used the same type of interconnects between the dac and amp, as I use now with the squeezebox, and the same configuration of interconnects are used with the phono stage. LP is clearly superior to the streaming, when I have the same material on LP as on the hard disk.

I find that I listen most to the squeezebox, nearly everything on the squeezebox I have on CD, I think I have one album on LP and hardisk only. I have to force myself to listen to LP, it sounds great but it doesn't have the music that I most listen too (The LP collection is mostly 70s/80s bought albums) CD represents what I like now, and so does the squeezebox.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    Yes, I know, against all standard logic, but that's what I found when I took the Beresford out of my system, no appreciable difference. The CD player and the TT are audibly better, and sometimes by a wide margin, particularly with respect to bass performance.
    Hi, did you try higher end dacs with the squeezebox ?
    I have a Squeezebox Classic with a Beresford TC-7520 upgraded with LM4562NA

I also find very little difference between the TC-7520 and the internal Squeezebox dac.

I ketp the Beresford because of the USB input which is sometimes useful for me.

I'm still looking for a better dac to improve the Squeezebox.
    (Which, unlike common advice, I actually find very good ...)

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by nb2 View Post
    Hi, did you try higher end dacs with the squeezebox ?

I'm still looking for a better dac to improve the Squeezebox.
    (Which, unlike common advice, I actually find very good ...)
    No, but I'm thinking about. I was thinking of getting a transporter, but I've been exploring the "Touch" forum over on the slimdevices fora (Squeezebox forum).

This is what I like: You can attach a local usb drive to the touch, which will then be accessible over your wired, or wireless, network. You'll be able to update your music files from your main computer. You then have a choice to use a squeezecenter on your main computer or what they are calling TinySC on the Touch (The touch contains a 500MHz ARM processor running Linux). So now no need for a NAS, your Touch will do that for you!

And I note one more who's not convinced of the external dac route with a Squeezebox classic (SB3)
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.