+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Logitech Touch now launched

Default Logitech Touch now launched

There has been a lot of chatter about this new Squeezebox. It has now been launched but is not expected in Europe till December.

The official forum has

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

This link is particularly informative

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...s/5/59877.html

The new device is a programmable Linux box running a server, a streamer and a controller.

As with the SB3 the Touch has Toslink and RCA S/PDIF outputs as well as it's own DAC and analogue outputs - line and headphone. The USB socket is set up for attaching an external hard drive of USB stick, but the Linux can be reconfigured to stream out of the USB to an external DAC.

The touch will stream natively up to 24/96, but some have offered the opinion the hardware will support up to 192.

It seems the internal DAC is a little better that that in the Classic and Duet, but not much. An external DAC will still be needed by those seeking the best sound.
    Last edited by Labarum; 07-09-2009 at 06:23.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Neal.

Looks good, especially when the USB DAC output is sorted....would fit very nicely with one of Stans DAC's
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

There would be no advanatge is using a re-programmed USB out from the Touch. With a Standac you would be better using S/PDIF - Optical or Coaxial.

The USB socket on the Touch could then be used for a hard drive, the two boxes together making an extremely high quality stand alone media player which would also act as a server to other Squeezeboxes in the house.
    Last edited by Labarum; 07-09-2009 at 09:10.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Peter.

I think this is a big advance, you can attach a USB drive, and when SC v8 is released you can use it as a stand alone solution, but you'll need a way to get the tunes on the USB drive.

But this is the future, think of it, You don't really need a CD player any more, you wouldn't even have to have a local wired or wireless local network, just stick your tunes on a drive, connect it to the touch.

Brilliant I think.

Where does that leave the transporter ?
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 07-09-2009 at 09:05.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    Where does that leave the transporter ?
    Dated! At the price its should better 24/96 and should be able to manage hard drives - there is room in the case.

I am guessing that an SB3 + Caiman will match it sonically even if the SB3 receives 24/96 that has been downsampled by the server to 24/48.

Now whether Logitech is prepared to put money into its development . . .
    Brian

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I am guessing that an SB3 + Caiman will match it sonically even if the SB3 receives 24/96 that has been downsampled by the server to 24/48.
    I'm thinking of getting a Logitech touch, functionally it's a big step forward from the SB3, and at a "reasonable" price, currently at 300€. My experience of the SB3 with a lesser Beresford, has left me unconvinced of the benefits of an external dac, in the context of a squeezebox.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.