+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use speaker impedance correction gadget thingie-magigs?

I'm Josie.

Reading in to this and still from a outside perspective 'some say' that it's purely down to the type of components used inside these things. That is the most effective way of getting it 'right' is to find the best type of cap and resistor for the job??? - I can understand that to a degree.

It's a mildly interesting topic. And could these things work better on longer runs of cable opposed to shorter runs?

Paul, I was referring to these thingies being added at the end of the speaker cables (at the input end of the XO).

I once had a zobel implemented at the output to the driver in a version of my early crossovers. I did some experimentation with that and lived with it connected for a couple of weeks, then disconnected. My findings at that point (although not fully) was that the zobel didn't do jack. But at that point in time I was quite new to the Tannoy's.

Not sure if Tannoy's are ripe for this kind of gizmo. I've found some people that use them to great effect but not the RA ones. ...Zapporators!!?... please. (I wouldn't buy those on principle of the name alone.)
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

Yes but first you have to catch a snake.....

...........then boil it for 72 hours, then refine the oil
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    Some of the Magic boxes have adjustable settings on them as well to allow fine tuning. I think the mega-buck MIT cables have them. Also, does anyone know what the 72V dielectric battery thingy does in Audioquest cables. Their top speaker and interconnect cables have this battery powered device that is supposed to maintain a constant voltage to the dielectric insulation and improving sound quality as a result. Can it be a DIY thing?
    As I understand it, some people thought that studio cables with microphone phantom power supplies sounded better with the power turned on. These are generally 48v. It was suspected that "charging" the cable dielectric was the reason for the improvement, so there has been experimentation with hifi cables. I have some suitable cables, so I may try it myself one day. Until then I won't have an opinion on the matter, but I won't be spending lots of money on them! The batteries should last almost forever, as the current draw is so low, and the exact voltage can be set using several batteries in series. One experimenter found 36v sounded best, to him.
    ABD.

I'm Paul.

Sorry for the confusion Joe...I had read the (OP wording in bold) which directly suggested "speaker impedance correction". A zobel before the filter will not correct specific drive unit rising impedance and is of arguably little merit in the scheme of things.

TheMooN Guest

Perhaps consider the Zero's by Paul Speltz http://www.zeroimpedance.com

I'm Josie.

Thanks Paul, that's fair enough.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    Perhaps consider the Zero's by Paul Speltz http://www.zeroimpedance.com
    Thanks.

Hmm... Dunno, I'd rather get the low down on how these things work (or if they work at all) to be honest and make some myself as it's not that fiddly.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

TheMooN Guest

Well, If you are able to wind them to tolerance , and for less than £350 delivered, Then Go with God!

https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/anti-c...ro-autoformers

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks.

Hmm... Dunno, I'd rather get the low down on how these things work (or if they work at all) to be honest and make some myself as it's not that fiddly.

I'm Josie.

God?... who is dat den then... lol

I've looked at the website. I've personally never heard of those before.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Bob.

Zobel networks are often used in quality crossovers. Adding one to a good speaker with a balanced crossover is pretty much a waste IMHO. If on the other hand you are driving a so called single “full range” speaker then a Zobel will help to iron out the impedance rise that moving coil speaker’s exhibit with a rise in frequency. Without one, mid range and high frequencies may sound a tad splashy or even squawk on female vocals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12