+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cart height

I'm douglas.

Default cart height

Ok. My cart spec states the height from stylus tip to top of cart is 15.5mm. My same cart with retip is 16.15mm from top to bottom. Will this make a difference? I am asking because I am having a sibilance problem.
    Thanks, Doug

I'm John.

Does your arm have height adjustment? If so crank it up a little and see if that solves it. Also check cartridge alignment with a decent protractor if you haven't already done that. I printed mine off from here

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Does the spec mention if the stylus cantilever is relaxed (i.e with no VTF)? Regardless, I would completely reset the arm/cartridge including the VTF, the bias and the VTA/SRA. I would also check that the arm/cartridge still achieves zero tracking error at the prefered null-radii by using an alignment protractor.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Hmmm... I'd be tempted to crank up the arm pivot height everso slightly. It usually smooths things out no end.

I'm douglas.

Thanks for the replies. The cart is a Soundsmith retipped Denon DL-S1, alignment with a Mint protractor on a Audiomods Classic arm. I tried 1.15 to 1.5g VTF as well. I first had it mounted with no shim on the cart, then I tried the aluminum shim that Audiomods supplies. But, the sibilance remained. I guess I will try different VTA's.

I'm Russell.

Exactly, if this cart is one millimeter taller, then it may need the VTA reset. And it never hurts to check all those other things when you move it. Like tracking force and. Alignment. If you have some real high powered magnification, you may get a look at that new diamond. . A diamond that looks like a coal chisel is glued to the end of it and while the body of the cartridge may be aligned with the protractor, the needle could have a very different angle. That's why some use a Fozgometer to set azimuth and lateral tracking. Lacking one of those you are best to take a test record and move the cart. A little at a time and judge by ear if both channels are equal, can't beat the old ear test! And of course check the vertical angle of the diamond, that's too could have a very different VTA from the original. Getting a good magnified look at it can really help give you some clues as to which way it may need to move, and again, judge by ear.a very time consuming process. If you fiddle with it until you loose your mind, it could have a flaw and may need to go back. It's rare but it happens.

I'm peter.

It may just need time to run-in and settle. They do loosen-up. Soundsmith have a good reputation and i'm sure they would advise.

I'm douglas.

I tried a few VTA settings to no avail. So I decided to recheck my alignment, and take my time. You see, I can can set up a Denon DL301mk2 - Dyna 10x5 and a few others lickity split! But I found out how critical a severe stylus shape can be to align. Close is not good enough! The sibilance is now gone.
    Cheers, Doug

+ Reply to Thread