+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cabinet refurb .

I'm Brian.

Default Speaker cabinet refurb .

OK chaps , the reason I'm asking for advice about this is because I haven't got a clue on how to go about this so I thought I would ask for advice on the forum . I've seen some outstanding refurb work which has been done by AOS members and would like to try this myself.
    A couple of months ago I bought a very nice pair of MA R852 speakers at a bargain price from a member on here . I've decided that I'm going to be using these for the foreseeable future .
    The cabinets of the 852s are OK , however I really think that the cabs would benefit from a little refurbishment . I'm looking for suggestions and advice from the experts on here .

I've tried to take the best photos I can and would welcome your suggestions on how to approach this . BTW the white discoloration isn't a trick of the light , it's actually there and I'm not sure what has caused it or how to deal with it.Thanks .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Nice speakers Brian. Looks like they have been stored in a damp place at one time. cant be sure but it looks like blushing. if its lacquer or shellac then try using 0000 steel wool and linseed oil (ive got a big bottle of food grade stuff if you need any),rubbing with the grain. youll need to remove the drivers as front need done. if its too bad then you may have to completely remove the surface finish with a spirit like turps. you can buy restoration liquids from the likes of liberon etc.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Thanks Grant . Do you rub down with the wire wool then apply the linseed oil or use the wire wool to apply the linseed oil ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Grant.

apply the oil with the wool. if it not too bad then it should go away without having to remove the lot. try it on one of the sides or back first. got plenty of finishes here if you need any

if theyve been varnished the youl need to remove that as the oil wont work
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

id be tempted to strip it all and refinish tbh. do a proper job
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

A word of caution,if your using oil,soak the rags in water before throwing in the bin.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    id be tempted to strip it all and refinish tbh. do a proper job
    That's the road I was thinking of going down Grant as I think they may be very nice if done properly . Any tips on how to go about this ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    A word of caution,if your using oil,soak the rags in water before throwing in the bin.
    Thanks Jamie , I'm very wary of oily stuff like this .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Grant.

use a spirit base to get the old finish off Brian then repair any imperfections. give a good sand down with some wet n dry or rougher wire wool..id use rougher wire wool with the spirit by the way.and wipe down with a damp sponge then dry one. once happy u have the choice of finish. danish oil ..liberon oil. youll need many coats of those. my favourite is a sealing shellac followed by 2 coats of good wax. if any staining needs done then that can be incorporated. i often use waxes with stain in as it gives a nice finish without any over blown areas.but if you have a good finish after shellac then clear wax will do. got plenty stuff here if it will save you money as you dont really need much and if its a one of job it can be costly mate

take your time and go with the grain at all times. it a very satisfying job and soothing if you want it to be..enjoy it
    Last edited by struth; 18-04-2015 at 11:18. Reason: additional
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Thanks Grant . If it's OK I may bring them over to yours for your opinion on a plan of action . You have PM mate .
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast