+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: system sounds bad - what to do?

I'm Martin.

Default system sounds bad - what to do?

At my wits end with this. I've hardly listened to the damn thing since I came back from holiday in February. Thing is, nothing has been changed in the system and a part from a lack of bass weight (understandable given I am using IB speakers in free space in a large room) it used to sound really good.

I first started noticing it back in December and figured it was the CD player on the way out so swapped it out but I am sure things have still got steadily worse. Some recordings show it up more than others. I used to have a really sweet and open sound, now it is a little bit rough, even verging on shouty and tinny-sounding (like a poor transistor radio).

As I say no components have changed so I am at a loss. If I am to rule out the sources that leaves the power amp and speakers as posible culprits. Is it possible that one or the other has degraded somehow?

I wouldn't have said the amp because it is only a little over 2 years old but when Alan came round with his OTL power amp I thought that the sound was very good and swapping back to my amp it was noticeably not as good.

Or could it be the speakers? They are 40 odd years old but for the first 12 months I had them the sound was excellent. Could the crossovers have deteriorated in that time? They have had a lot of use with a powerful amp at fairly high levels.

I've tried swapping in the other speakers I own (Studio Spares Classic monitors, JBL Control One, KEF Calindas) but they are so different from a 4-way 6 driver infinite baffle that it isimpossible to tell anyhting from this.

All cables are the same as I've always used.

Any suggestions welcome
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Dismantle the whole system and clean all connections.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Give it to me.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think you need to be very systematic here Martin.

Does your system sound poor regardless of the source used?

You say your system sounded better when Alan's amplifier was used. Was the preamp changed when using Alan's amp?

Do none of your substitute speakers sound any better? They may sound different to your current speakers.

When you were away on holiday, was the heating left on (at a lower than normal setting)?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Hi Barry

Yes, system not as good as it was with both LP and CD

Same pre-amp (NVA passive P90SA) was used with both power amps. Since it is a passive I'm discounting that as a source of the problem.

Substitute speakers are a)not as good as the Akais and B) totally different in presentation

I dontl have any heating apart from a little electric radiator. That was off while I was on hols but the problem started before that, before Xmas, actually.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Amp may be the culprit then. also the fact youve been away from it for a while might have changed your opinion on its sound.
    One other thing might be that the 2 long distance flights may have altered your hearing due to pressurisation .... maybe you need to go listen to others systems and see if you find any you used to think smashing and are still that way.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well do what Ali suggests; remove all the connecting leads, clean the contacts and reconnect. That ought to help a little.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I'll clean the contacts. Worth a go.

Not sure about the hearing thing, as I said it wasn't sounding so good before I went away.

I have other power amps I could substitute in. Might try that. No-one think it might be the xovers in the speakers? I don't want it to be since that will be the most hassle to sort.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have had similar in the past, cleaning all the connections sorted it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Do things sound any better when you use the preamp section of the XTZ (ie use the amp as an integrated)?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast