+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A little advice

I'm Andrew.

Exclamation The new PSU is fitted from Paul Hynes!

My new Paul Hynes PSU is coming today.

I know I have to remove the transistor,Q1 and the stock transformer.

I also have been advised to remove R2, R4 and C3. What happens if I don't remove these 3 extra components immediately? I've seen several pictures of new PSU's being used without these components being removed?

Also should I just snip them out or desolder them? The only reason I ask is I'd rather not keep removing the PCB and bearing unless I have to?

Thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 15-04-2015 at 14:05.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Kevin.

I didn't remove the additional components when fitting my LDA PSU.
    It seems to work fine. I don't know how different it is though.

If you need to remove the components, personally I would unsolder in case you want to retrofit the original PSU.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

Thanks.

Paul definitely recommends removing these but was also trying to find out the difference.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Kevin.

Ask Paul? I would be interested to know the difference.
    Kevin

I'm Andrew.

It's all fitted.

I bypassed the mains switch as recommended and also removed the 3 extra components and Paul told me they were redundant. I desoldered all rather than just cut.

It's sounding very good so far, like a veil has been lifted and finer details common through. I'll wait until it's full run in as the cart is also brand new but I'm sure it's been well worth it.
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 15-04-2015 at 14:04.

My System:

I'm Kevin.

Good news.
    I need to refit my PSU as it went belly up.
    Sent it back to Nick at LDA. He received it yesterday. He has already diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and got it ready to send back to me. Excellent customer service.

I may look at de soldering the additional components, but it makes refitting the original PSU more difficult.
    I am glad I left them in place, as I have been using my deck with the bop board PSU fitted recently.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread