+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A visit to Qwin's...

I'm Ken.

I'm Ken.

I've had time to compare the Rega Quattro and Van Damme HiFi cables more closely in my system.

The Rega cable certainly has a rich midrange and depth to the bass with a good 3D sound stage, it shone on simple accoustic tracks, its weakness being the lack of a clean and detailed top end, its a bit grainy. When I tried more complex tracks with full orchestra it started to struggle and the softer edges to notes started to blur making the definition between individual instruments less noticable.

The Van Damme is crisp, clean and transparent at the top and I found it much easier to pick out instruments and follow complex passages, its no slouch with bass content and slam, but not as rich as the Rega mids, which initially sound very impressive. After trying different music styles, I found the VD coped better over all, with the Rega being more particular as to what worked with it and what didn't.

So the winner and the one staying in my system for now is the Van Damme HiFi, but I would love to have some of the elements of the Rega, maybe there is a cable out there that can give this result in my system, or maybe new interconnects will help.

They are both excelent budget cables and for now the VD is the one to beat, it will be intresting to see how it compares with the Tellurium Blue in Rich's system.

I'm Steve.

RPi made from freeze dried snake oil and then reconstituted with maidens urine before use. not for me methinks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Would be interesting to try one of those on the RPi, and compare it with the IQ-Audio DAC.....

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123