+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A visit to Qwin's...

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Would be interesting to try one of those on the RPi, and compare it with the IQ-Audio DAC.....

Marco.
    You want to try mine Marco? I'll send it down if you like.

Mine is this one with the separate PSU http://hifimediy.com/usb-dac2
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'd need the Hi-Fi Berry interface for that, mate, as only by fitting that would I be able to try external DACs, with the Pi. The IQ-Audio DAC is a fixed device, and you can't plug another DAC into it.

If someone going to the next NEBO buys an RPi/Hi-Fi Berry, then I could bring my RPi/IQ-Audio combo along and do the comparison with the SABRE then

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'd need the Hi-Fi Berry interface for that, mate, as only by fitting that would I be able to try external DACs, with the Pi. The IQ-Audio DAC is a fixed device, and you can't plug another DAC into it.

If someone going to the next NEBO buys an RPi/Hi-Fi Berry, then I could bring my RPi/IQ-Audio combo along and do the comparison with the SABRE then

Marco.
    Ahh ok, so it wouldn't work just from the usb socket of the RPi then? I hadn't realised

I'm Ken.

Never thought about taking pictures on the night , maybe next time.

Thats an intresting looking DAC Rich, I need at least one coax + Toslink + USB input for my current set up though.
    As I mentioned to you, I have been considering the Jolida DAC with tube output stage. This uses a pair of ECC83 valves like the Croft Phono stage, my logic being that both vinyl and digital sources would then be 83's feeding into the Croft line stage (phono goes through line stage). This may have some kind of unifying effect and bring a form of synergy between sources, on the other hand it may do nothing of the kind, it was just something that crossed my mind. It's supposed to be a half decent DAC in its own right anyway. If I end up with a Rpi for FBA it would only be for my CDP and TV/Radio/movies.

Jimbo - Yes it was a good session, my short list for a new cartridge has came down to the 2M Black and the Nagaoka MP500, they are similar in price.
    In terms of sound, the 2M is supposed to be slightly more hifi and the MP500 a bit more organic, generalizing terribly there. I've only heard the 2M Black but have read many reviews by users, some who own bothe and I now there is not much between them. What sold it for me, is the MP500 is suposed to be better at handeling noise and wear on older records (majority of my collection) and a replacement stylus is about half the price of the 2M Black, so I am saving my pennies for the Nagaoka.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post

Thats an intresting looking DAC Rich, I need at least one coax + Toslink + USB input for my current set up though.
    As I mentioned to you, I have been considering the Jolida DAC with tube output stage. This uses a pair of ECC83 valves like the Croft Phono stage, my logic being that both vinyl and digital sources would then be 83's feeding into the Croft line stage (phono goes through line stage). This may have some kind of unifying effect and bring a form of synergy between sources, on the other hand it may do nothing of the kind, it was just something that crossed my mind. It's supposed to be a half decent DAC in its own right anyway. If I end up with a Rpi for FBA it would only be for my CDP and TV/Radio/movies.

Jimbo - Yes it was a good session, my short list for a new cartridge has came down to the 2M Black and the Nagaoka MP500, they are similar in price.
    In terms of sound, the 2M is supposed to be slightly more hifi and the MP500 a bit more organic, generalizing terribly there. I've only heard the 2M Black but have read many reviews by users, some who own bothe and I now there is not much between them. What sold it for me, is the MP500 is suposed to be better at handeling noise and wear on older records (majority of my collection) and a replacement stylus is about half the price of the 2M Black, so I am saving my pennies for the Nagaoka.
    You could easily get round that with a USB to SPDIF converter. I have a musical fidelity VLINKII but they can be had much cheaper than that. I think Stan Beresford doess one which looks good. Interestingly I see they are doing a RPi dac which I bet will sound great, pretty cheap too... http://hifimediy.com/DACs/i2s-raspberry-pi-dac

I'm James.

I think either cartridge would be good Ken, Indeed I would like to try the MP500 myself. I just mentioned the 2M black as I use it with my Croft set up and it does have a nice synergy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Sounds like a fantastic night guys. Very interesting read too. Sounds like you guys had a ball. I must get up and have a listen to your gear guys. I hope you are bringing those Yams to NEBO 6 Ken, i can't wait to hear them. Of course i will not be drinking as much ale on the next occasion due to being a reformed character. Speak soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think either cartridge would be good Ken, Indeed I would like to try the MP500 myself. I just mentioned the 2M black as I use it with my Croft set up and it does have a nice synergy.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic night guys. Very interesting read too. Sounds like you guys had a ball. I must get up and have a listen to your gear guys. I hope you are bringing those Yams to NEBO 6 Ken, i can't wait to hear them. Of course i will not be drinking as much ale on the next occasion due to being a reformed character. Speak soon.
    You're welcome round anytime I'm home Steve. Just give me buzz, it's only a half hour up the road.

I intend to tie a few on at the next Nebo so if you should fall off the wagon you'll be in good company.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Yes it was great to get Rich's perspective on my gear and try a few things I had not come accross. I'm hoping to have the leads sorted for NEBO6, I will bring the Yammies plus a Pre/Power combo I've not brought before to add to the variety.

Allways welcome for a preview Steve.

Have you got your amps sorted?
    It would be nice to hear those big Tannoy D900's of yours.

I'm Steve.

Yes mate, i am well up for that. Yes, amps all sorted and ready to boogie. I will give you a bell about coming down to listen to the Tannoys
    Yes it was great to get Rich's perspective on my gear and try a few things I had not come accross. I'm hoping to have the leads sorted for NEBO6, I will bring the Yammies plus a Pre/Power combo I've not brought before to add to the variety.

Allways welcome for a preview Steve.

Have you got your amps sorted?
    It would be nice to hear those big Tannoy D900's of yours.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast