+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A visit to Qwin's...

I'm Rich.

Default A visit to Qwin's...

Popped over to Ken's place with a few bits and bobs and a couple of cans last night to hear his system. Like me, Ken's made a few changes to his kit over recent months and we were keen to compare a few cables, his modifed Croft pre with my micro basic with upgraded valves and also to get his perspective on my sl1210 mods. I was also keen to hear his recently acquired Yamaha NS1000M speakers which to have ousted his Celestion 66s must be something special indeed. I understand Ken's made a few mods to these speakers since he got them so I'll leave to him to say what he's done with them.

After arriving, cracking open a can and a bit of a catch up we got down to business. Ken was playing some CDs, Rumer and the excellent OMD English Electric via his Sugden CDP into his Cambridge Audio DAC, then to his Croft Micro pre and excellent Proton power amp. Initally we were using the Van Damme HiFi cable. My initial impression was one of a system which whilst perfectly detailed and well mannered was being held back in some way, dare I lacking a little verve. The culprit was easily identified and the DIY cat5 interconnect between the DAC and Pre was quickly swapped out for my current favorite budget interconnect, a pair of NVA soundcords. Much better! Right away the sound had opened up and the system began to reveal more of it's potential. The Yamahas came to life a bit more and there was immediate sparkle. I'd also brought along a few other budget interconnects including a QED profile, and some old monster interlink I had lying around but we never got to them as we seemed quite happy with what the soundcord was doing.

Next order of business was trying a few speaker cables which had been the original intention of our get together, Ken has written elsewhere here on his preference for the Van Damme HiFi over the blue stuff http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...cable-reviewed

I'd certainly go along with his finding here and the HiFi beat the blue for me, nicer midrange, better resolved top end than the blue and actually a little 'creamyness' to the sound which I don't mind at all. My role here was to bring along a few other budget cables to provide some other points of comparison. Sadly I missed the postman so the TQ blue I'd picked up as a bargain from a member here wasn't available but I did take along some Rega Quattro and some NVA LS2. Untill recently, and as part of an complete Rega system, the Quattro had been my cable of choice. Those who've heard my kit at previous NEBOs will have seen this cable in use. Its pretty unruly stuff but a bit of a snip at £4-£5 per biwire metre, this becomes even more cost effective as you can easily split it to make a stereo pair. Anyway, I digress... of on another Rega rant as I'm still prone to do.

After trying the Van Damme cables we plugged in the NVA LS2, and played some CDs I'd brought...King Crimson - Discipline, Idlewild - Warnings and Promises. Something was immediately wrong here, the voices were thin, the bass was way back in the mix and the overall balance we'd got with the Van Damme stuff was gone. It lasted a couple of tracks. I've used LS2 in my system whilst auditioning some NVA amps, in order to keep with their designer's requirements for how they are used. I personally didn't find them bad with NVA amps and my speakers but Ken's Yamahas were taking no prisoner's and showed this budget cable up for all it is. In fairness I knew this was a shortcoming in my system and always intended to replace these cable with something better, NVA have suggested the same to me so I'll be doing this in the near future and trying some LS1 or better I think.

Onto the cheap Rega cables then... what a surprise. By this time we'd moved onto some Johnny Cash, with his version of Rusty Cage being one of our comparison tracks. From the off there was an immediate depth to that low voice which caused Ken and I to remark on the low end depth we were getting from these cables. They weren't as well resolved in the top end as the Van Damme HiFi but there wasn't much in it. Ken said he wished we could take the top end and upper mid from the Van Damme and combine it with the mid and low end conviction of the Regas. I'd entirely agree.

So on the cables front, the Van Damme HiFi had it, but by a nose for me. I've left the Rega cables with Ken so he can do some more comparisons in his own time and expect he'll have more to say on this.

The night was drawing on a bit but not before we'd swapped out Ken's Cambridge Audio DAC for my Rega. The difference here was not subtle, on the previously mentioned Johnny Cash track we immediately noticed a second guitar twanging away and much more prominent in the mix than with the Cambridge DAC. I was also of the opinion that I could hear more of the natural resonances you get from an acoustic guitar with the Rega DAC. For me, the Rega put the Cambridge DAC into the corner and I think changing the DAC might be next on the list for Ken.

The biggest surprise of the night came when we turned to playing some vinyl. The NEBO faithful will already be familiar with Ken's beautiful terminator arm and mega modified technics with concrete plinth and Project RPM platter. I will never grow tired of hearing this deck and it played some Donald Fagen and Swing Out Sister beautifully through through the phono stage in his his Croft Micro... Anyone familar with my gallery thread here will have seen some of the trials and tribulations I've had with my technics mods and how I felt they'd left my deck a bit soulless. I demonstrated this deck to Ken using a NVA Phono1 stage. It wasn't bad by any stretch but we both felt the sound was over dampened in some way and far too polite and gentle overall. If anything, the AT440MLA cartridge I'm using, which has reputation for being a bit of a screamer was being held back in some way. We both considered my tonearm cable is in dire need of improvement but all bets were off when I introduced my Croft Micro basic into the mix. This has been modified with 2 x SOVTEK 12AX7LPS valves and 1 x BRIMAR 6060 Yellow T. We connected my techie to this pre and then quickly lashed it up to Ken's Proton power amp with the soundcords. My goodness It was bloody fantastic, my deck came to life in an instant and Ken's Yammies were singing away. Incredible dynamics and such life and verve to the sound! Ken even said he wished he could get his vinyl sound more like it, which I took as huge encouragement that I'd finally got something right. To round off the evening we enjoyed some of Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the night album on this setup and I left feeling that, short of getting a few final bits and bobs for the techie... I'm well on my way to a killer vinyl front end now.

Hopefully Ken will pop by and add his perspectives on what was a thoroughly enjoyable night with a few genuine surprises for us both. Thanks for having me over Ken and roll on NEBO6 where we'll hopefully get to share some of our findings with the rest of the gang.

Cheers

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ken.

Nice to have you down Rich and thanks for the beer, you have it about right with the way things went.

Let me just state the obvious for folks, there is no “best cable” as such, it depends on how well it suits the gear you attach it to, so our comments relate to the synergy we experienced with the kit we were using (Croft Pre/Proton Power/NS1000M Speaks).
    My mods on the speakers are just a simple re cap and some new binding posts to replace the spring clips, I also upgraded the bell wire between the posts and he cross over board.
    Detailed here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...NS1000M-Tweaks

Speaker Cable
    The Van Damme Blue was pleasant enough, but for me the Van Damme HiFi cable broadened the spectrum at both ends and gave a little warmth and richness to the mids, which we both seemed to pick up on. The old Rega stuff that Rich brought along had an even better bottom end with great detail and depth, as he indicated I preferred the absolute clarity which the VD hifi cable produced on the Yammies top end. So there really wasn’t much to choose between these two. I didn’t like the NVA cable in this set up at all, dull and lifeless, it was 6mm square copper section as were the Blue and Hifi we compared. We never got round to putting my Atlas Hyper 2.5 into service on the night, but I am very familiar with how it sounds in this set up and it would not have competed with the best, a bit too soft and laid back for my taste.
    So as we left it, I have the Rega cable on loan to do some more comparisons with the VD HiFi, when I get some better interconnects. Rich has some VD hifi on loan to see how it works with the rest of his set up at home.

Interconnects
    My DIY Cat5 and Cambridge Audio “Arctic” cables were reasonable, but when we dropped in the budget NVA “Sound Cord” on my DAC to Pre things opened right up and there was an extra warmth to the mids that I picked up on. This warmth combined with that of the speaker cable had transformed the Yamaha’s reputed Monitor style analytical presentation into one which was really very musical indeed. When this cable was used between the Pre and Power it also worked well, for me it produced a noticeable lift in dynamics.
    This cable is cheap as chips and made from RG316/U coax, which is to military spec and normally used for RF/Data transfer. It has PTFE insulation between inner and outer conductor and an FEP outer sleeve which is only 2.5mm diameter. It is 50 ohm and around 96pf/m capacitance, it’s available on the Bay for £2.29/meter delivered. I was more than happy to leave this cable in the system.

Turntable
    Small correction to how Rich described my deck, it is a plywood, plinth, it used to be concrete.
    Having made so many changes to my system recently, my TT set up is anything but fully optimised, I need a new MM cartridge to work with the Croft phono stage (was using MC cartridge/phono) and longer leads from cartridge to Phono, my leads on the night were extended using connectors and additional leads, which is not ideal. It still produced a decent sound, and was a good yardstick to gauge the performance of Rich’s deck, which he has been unhappy with. His first demo sounded dull and lacked any dynamics, I could see why he was a bit put off after his upgrades. Like he pointed out, we took his NVA phono out of the loop and played the deck directly through his Croft Pre/phono, I would agree the difference was huge, now detailed and dynamic very musical and foot tapping. Rich made the comment about it sounding like a different deck. I think he is back on track with his vinyl set up and confidant in his deck/arm/cartridge combination. I found things to be envious of in the quality of the sound this combination put out, so I will be looking at some valve rolling and sorting my leads and Cartridge out in the following Months. To be fair to the NVA phono stage, it has not got many hours on it and may improve with time, but it would have to improve a lot. Stick with the Croft mate, it was doing the business.

DAC
    The Rega DAC which Rich brought along showed up the weaknesses of my little Dacmagic. That extra guitar that could suddenly be heard on the Johnny Cash track convinced me. I was thinking about upgrading my DAC anyway and after hearing the difference it can make, it is pretty much going to have to be done.

That about covers it from me, it was a great session with plenty to follow up on. Hopefully we will get things sorted for the next NEBO meet.

I'm Dave.

Great guys , i enjoyed reading your posts. Sounds like you had a fun evening.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Brian.

Nice write up guys , sounds like you had a great day . My DAC of choice is also the Rega DAC and I've no inclination to change it at the moment. Thanks for sharing your experiences .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Nice to have you down Rich and thanks for the beer, you have it about right with the way things went.

Let me just state the obvious for folks, there is no “best cable” as such, it depends on how well it suits the gear you attach it to, so our comments relate to the synergy we experienced with the kit we were using (Croft Pre/Proton Power/NS1000M Speaks).
    My mods on the speakers are just a simple re cap and some new binding posts to replace the spring clips, I also upgraded the bell wire between the posts and he cross over board.
    Detailed here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...NS1000M-Tweaks

Speaker Cable
    The Van Damme Blue was pleasant enough, but for me the Van Damme HiFi cable broadened the spectrum at both ends and gave a little warmth and richness to the mids, which we both seemed to pick up on. The old Rega stuff that Rich brought along had an even better bottom end with great detail and depth, as he indicated I preferred the absolute clarity which the VD hifi cable produced on the Yammies top end. So there really wasn’t much to choose between these two. I didn’t like the NVA cable in this set up at all, dull and lifeless, it was 6mm square copper section as were the Blue and Hifi we compared. We never got round to putting my Atlas Hyper 2.5 into service on the night, but I am very familiar with how it sounds in this set up and it would not have competed with the best, a bit too soft and laid back for my taste.
    So as we left it, I have the Rega cable on loan to do some more comparisons with the VD HiFi, when I get some better interconnects. Rich has some VD hifi on loan to see how it works with the rest of his set up at home.

Interconnects
    My DIY Cat5 and Cambridge Audio “Arctic” cables were reasonable, but when we dropped in the budget NVA “Sound Cord” on my DAC to Pre things opened right up and there was an extra warmth to the mids that I picked up on. This warmth combined with that of the speaker cable had transformed the Yamaha’s reputed Monitor style analytical presentation into one which was really very musical indeed. When this cable was used between the Pre and Power it also worked well, for me it produced a noticeable lift in dynamics.
    This cable is cheap as chips and made from RG316/U coax, which is to military spec and normally used for RF/Data transfer. It has PTFE insulation between inner and outer conductor and an FEP outer sleeve which is only 2.5mm diameter. It is 50 ohm and around 96pf/m capacitance, it’s available on the Bay for £2.29/meter delivered. I was more than happy to leave this cable in the system.

Turntable
    Small correction to how Rich described my deck, it is a plywood, plinth, it used to be concrete.
    Having made so many changes to my system recently, my TT set up is anything but fully optimised, I need a new MM cartridge to work with the Croft phono stage (was using MC cartridge/phono) and longer leads from cartridge to Phono, my leads on the night were extended using connectors and additional leads, which is not ideal. It still produced a decent sound, and was a good yardstick to gauge the performance of Rich’s deck, which he has been unhappy with. His first demo sounded dull and lacked any dynamics, I could see why he was a bit put off after his upgrades. Like he pointed out, we took his NVA phono out of the loop and played the deck directly through his Croft Pre/phono, I would agree the difference was huge, now detailed and dynamic very musical and foot tapping. Rich made the comment about it sounding like a different deck. I think he is back on track with his vinyl set up and confidant in his deck/arm/cartridge combination. I found things to be envious of in the quality of the sound this combination put out, so I will be looking at some valve rolling and sorting my leads and Cartridge out in the following Months. To be fair to the NVA phono stage, it has not got many hours on it and may improve with time, but it would have to improve a lot. Stick with the Croft mate, it was doing the business.

DAC
    The Rega DAC which Rich brought along showed up the weaknesses of my little Dacmagic. That extra guitar that could suddenly be heard on the Johnny Cash track convinced me. I was thinking about upgrading my DAC anyway and after hearing the difference it can make, it is pretty much going to have to be done.

That about covers it from me, it was a great session with plenty to follow up on. Hopefully we will get things sorted for the next NEBO meet.
    Sounds like good night Ken. Glad you and Rich B getting some good results with the Croft Micro.

If you are looking for a good MM Cartridge to use with the Croft the Ortofon 2M Black is a superb match, real power and live dynamics. Bit pricy though.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, which is the main thing, and discovered some interesting things, but you should've taken some piccies!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Sounds like you guys had a great time, which is the main thing, and discovered some interesting things, but you should've taken some piccies!!

Marco.
    Never even occured to me mate...

Besides, nothing to see here... just a couple of guys comparing their wires

Not pics of your ugly mugs, fondling each other's hairy arses in matching floral frocks [certainly not before the watershed, anyway], but PICS OF THE KIT BEING LISTENED TO IN SITU, daftee!

Just as one does at Nebo... One to remember in future?

Anyway, I'm glad that you seem to be happier now with your Techy, as you've heard it sound fab at Ken's place (sans hum?), and that you're now confident you're going down the right road. If you carry out what I suggested in your Gallery thread, in terms of mat and feet upgrades, trust me, you'll be more delighted than ever at just how good your Techy can sound!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made...spdif-dac-230V

Ken, on the subject of cheap and cheerful alternatives to your Cambridge DAC, I have one of these as as USB DAC in a my bedroom system but this one would be better for you as it has the SPDIF connections you'd need. I was amazed at how good it was for beer money. The SABRE ES9023 chip makes for one of the most natural sounding DACs I've found. In terms of how it sounded against the Rega I couldn't honestly say there was much in it. Maybe even get one of their boards and match it with a bigger and better PSU for a very nice and budget friendly alternative.

Would be interesting to try one of those on the RPi, and compare it with the IQ-Audio DAC.....

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast