+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: IanMac Bearing

I'm Ian.

Marco, your post crossed my fighting with the system logging me out as i posted a long post.
    I appreciate some members will turn off as soon as the see techspeak.
    I always try to keep things simple but there are times when its difficult
    On the positive side it may encourage some to delve just a little deeper into the technical side of their hobby.
    I hope I have answered your question in my post .
    If not let me know and I'll try again

Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent, Ian. Nicely explained, mate. That's perfect

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post

What's causing the increase in HF noise compared to the standard bearing?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Mike.

It doesn't matter, as it is down over 17dB.

I'm Neal.

Possibly, it may not matter but I'd still want to understand why there is an increase...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Ian.

Neal,
    there is nothing wrong with the graph of the modded bearing, the problem lies with that associated with the Technics. A build up of debris on my stylus was the culprit, killing the HF response
    I noticed this, cleaned it, and forgot to do a re run. I had stored the file on my PC
    I noted this again when I photographed the PC display this morning and to do a re run involved yet another change of bearing.
    Given the area of interest is below 1Khz I used the first run.
    In retrospect I agree I should have pointed this out on the graph. Thank you for raising it.
    In general the improvements tend to fall at the lower end of the audio range ie below 3Khz. indicating perhaps the weakness in the structure of the original bearing, rather than any issue with the actual rotational parts.
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Gone.

Hi Ian,

Would you know if your mod can be done to the Mk1 SL120 bearing, very interested if so. I'm not sure if it's a common part

I'm Ian.

Paul,
    Regret I have no info on the SL120 bearing.
    Anyone know if there are similarities ?
    Ian

I'm Julian.

Good to see some measurements !! - thanks for putting those up Ian....... Wish other bearing engineers would put some measurements up too ! PM sent

I'm Andrei.

Paul, the Technics manual for the SL120 on Vinylengine is for both "SL-1200" and "SL-120" http://www.vinylengine.com/library/t...s/sl-120.shtml
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast