+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Inspire LP12 woe - help/advice sought please

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Hi Andy

When I bought the OL Silver from Richard at Inspire he mounted and set up the arm on the Technics that I also purchased from him. On my return home I found that the arm had been incorrectly set up and I spent a lot of time setting up the arm properly. Richard is a really nice guy but I'm not sure his technical abilities match his enthusiasm. He told me that an issue with static that I had with my previous LP12 that he had just upgraded for me was not something he had heard about before!!!
    I suggest that you get the arm re-installed. It is IMO unlikely to be the bearings as this would effect the whole LP not just end of side and as already been stated the arm is built like a "Brick Out-House" It might be well worth contacting Origin Live for their opinion.

Clive
    With respect, that is not quite correct. If there is a bit of contamination in a bearing race, it can 'stick' at one particular point. A friend had loads of such problems with a much more expensive OL arm, so it's certainly not unknown.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    With respect, that is not quite correct. If there is a bit of contamination in a bearing race, it can 'stick' at one particular point. A friend had loads of such problems with a much more expensive OL arm, so it's certainly not unknown.
    I will bow to your experience, in which case, definatly a chat with OL is required.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Rega arms don't usually suffer from sticky bearings, so another mark down to the tonearm bodgers who think they can do better in engineering terms than Rega can. Sonics are personal, but how can adding a massive tube resonance or two right in the midrange make it 'better?'

My personal advice would be to get the arm fixed, if indeed it has sticky bearings (balance out the arm so the stylus is clear of the mat, take the arm to the centre and see how free it is in returning to the rest) and replace it with a pukka Rega arm, or possibly better for the LP12, a Michell Techno-Arm, which is 'bodging' done right and apparently then assembled and tested at Rega by people well used to building these things!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Michael.

Try to look at the underside of the armtube if it touches the armlift during it's travel across the record.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by krugdoktor View Post
    Try to look at the underside of the armtube if it touches the armlift during it's travel across the record.
    Good point.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Rega arms don't usually suffer from sticky bearings, so another mark down to the tonearm bodgers who think they can do better in engineering terms than Rega can. Sonics are personal, but how can adding a massive tube resonance or two right in the midrange make it 'better?'

My personal advice would be to get the arm fixed, if indeed it has sticky bearings (balance out the arm so the stylus is clear of the mat, take the arm to the centre and see how free it is in returning to the rest) and replace it with a pukka Rega arm, or possibly better for the LP12, a Michell Techno-Arm, which is 'bodging' done right and apparently then assembled and tested at Rega by people well used to building these things!
    So what have you got against Origin Live, they have a good reputation both in the trade and the public. I'm on my second OL arm and had/have no issues with either. Mark at OL seems to know his onions on the number of conversations I've had with him and I'm thinking of upgradeing my Encounter to the latest 'C' spec. Rega arms, like Technics seem to respond very well to fettling as many users on this forum can attest.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    So what have you got against Origin Live, they have a good reputation both in the trade and the public. I'm on my second OL arm and had/have no issues with either. Mark at OL seems to know his onions on the number of conversations I've had with him and I'm thinking of upgradeing my Encounter to the latest 'C' spec. Rega arms, like Technics seem to respond very well to fettling as many users on this forum can attest.

Look at reviews, speak to reviewers who know what goes on and also look at the finish! Like I said, change to a Techno Arm or something 'better' that will sadly cost rather more!

Like I said, making a pretty inert arm sing along madly with the music isn't 'High Fidelity' in my book. Sorry!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by krugdoktor View Post
    Blimey yes! That's the very first thing I'll do! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that. I'm working away from home today, which is infuriating as I'd have a 600 mile round trip this evening to do it. It will need to wait until tomorrow evening.

I actually remember on my old Rega RB300, there was a rubber strip in the armlift and it was a tiny bit too long so it stuck up a little at the 'inside' end. In that case, it actually lifted the arm slightly clear of the groove but, if the problem was just a little less bad it could maybe be the cause. Part of me hopes this is the issue (as it's an easy fix) and part of me doesn't (as I'll look like a prawn!).

So, the new plan for this weekend is:

1 - Check the armrest isn't interfering with the tube
    2 - Check the tracking weight
    3 - Check the alignment
    4 - Check the arm returns nicely/freely to the rest from a floating position midway across the radius of the platter
    5 - If nothing else works, send arm to OL

I'm afraid that I'm not qualified to comment on the relative merits of Rega, Michell and OL though I've had 3 Rega arms in the past and they've always been great. I do however think that the OL is more nicely finished from an aesthetic POV. I should add that I was originally planning to get an Audiomods upgrade done on my RB300 when Clive's OL Sliver Mk2 came up and seemed like an attractive and rather simpler alternative!

thanks

I'm Alan.

The arm floating test with no anti skate will show a sticky bearing or a trapped wire in the arm, don't forget to put your stylus guard on
    also with the arm floating drop a 1cm square of paper on the head shell and the arm should pivot up and down freely as well

Do a full check on alignment and tracking on a test disc at the inner, centre and outer grooves.
    Do a thouroug clean of he tip and look at it with a good pocket mic could be a build of crud on one side of he stylus

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

I would have fully supported these comments 15 years ago during the 'RB250 downgrade era' but today they are simply not relevant.
    I trust no reviews but my own and now myself and several of my colleagues all run OL arms as a preference to many more popular offerings.
    I make no secret of the fact that OL are a horrendous company to deal with and my recent experience has been without doubt the most unpleasant experience of my hifi buying and selling life, but when it comes to the products, they really are incredible.
    Alas, I don't think OL will ever repair their bad reputation without a serious attitude adjustment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast