+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phono stage or integrated amp for my system?

I'm Paul.

Default Phono stage or integrated amp for my system?

I own a Cocktail Audio X30 which I mainly use as a music server/amp. I need to use a phono stage with my Rega RP6/Denon DL 110. I have to say at this point that I am thoroughly enjoying my system regularly, with far less times of apathy/disappointment than any previous system. I have never had an amp for more than a year before having the urge to change it almost completely and I've had the X30 for about 16 months.

However, since getting the RP6 I would like to improve the phono playing side of the system at least and have been experimenting with various items that I have here. A VSPS seemed a bit thin in this system, an Angle Audio phono stage seemed to lack insight but was fun and the internal stage from A Teac A-H500. The latter appears to be the best via phono. I also tried the X30 via the Teac, and while the phono sounded good directly into it the X30 seemed quite shouty via the line inputs, something that I had felt before while using it in a second system. I actually feel that the Teac phono sounds a bit better via the tape outs to the X30 which is how I am currently using it.

At the moment I am on the waiting list to hear the Firebottle. One thing that is slightly puts me off valves though is the warm up time, I want to be able to listen straight away without worrying about waiting for improvements. Obviously I need to hear the Firebottle before deciding if I am willing to make that compromise.

The idea of a Rega based system appeals to me. Before the X30 I had the Brio-R, which I thought was excellent. The only reason I don't still have it was because I thought that the X30 was nearly as good in my room but I wanted the ripping/storage ability. I really wanted to keep the Brio-R but couldn't afford the X30 at the time without trading it in.

The current options open to me would be - Brio-R, Phono or Elex-R. Does anyone know how the Phono compares to the integrated amps' stages. As I've had the Brio-R I would be more likely to look at the Elex-R. Also how would the phono stages in older Rega amps compare? There is a big difference in price between the Phono and the Elex-R but I would be hoping to improve significantly on the internal amp of the X30 and gain more synergy on the record playing side. I am unlikely to get to hear the Elex-R though, so would like to hear opinions on what improvements there are over the Brio-R, both via phono stage and line inputs.

Sorry for rambling on but any thoughts and opinions on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

I'm Martin.

I'd hang on for the Firebottle. Switch it on 10 mins before you use it that's plenty of warm up time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You love the facilities of the amp you have, so my suggestion is to get a phono stage for it. Depending on your reaction to the Firebottle, a Rega Aria may be another option, together with the far cheaper NJC phono stage. I have to say that owning a product carefully made by one individual is an attractive proposition
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by rossman View Post

At the moment I am on the waiting list to hear the Firebottle. One thing that is slightly puts me off valves though is the warm up time, I want to be able to listen straight away without worrying about waiting for improvements. Obviously I need to hear the Firebottle before deciding if I am willing to make that compromise.
    Alan will no doubt confirm the the Mark 2 is different but the warm up time is insignificant in my Mark 1. You switch on and under a minute later, the green light comes on to show its ready for action. I can't pretend I have noticed any difference to the sound after that. A minute lost from your life doesn't seem too much to spend considering the sound quality on off.

I would point out that I have no connection with this manufacturer, just a satisfied customer ...................oh and living quite close in France and us being good mates

I'm Paul.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You love the facilities of the amp you have, so my suggestion is to get a phono stage for it. Depending on your reaction to the Firebottle, a Rega Aria may be another option, together with the far cheaper NJC phono stage. I have to say that owning a product carefully made by one individual is an attractive proposition
    The Rega Aria was on my possibilities list before I realised that the Elex-R was available. Never say never but I can't really see myself owning a MC cartridge so it does appear to be a lot to pay when I only need MM. Flawed thinking where sound quality is concerned no doubt but it's about twice the price of the Firebottle and similar to the Elex-R. I'm not familiar with the NJC.

[QUOTE=Gordon Steadman;636336]Alan will no doubt confirm the the Mark 2 is different but the warm up time is insignificant in my Mark 1. You switch on and under a minute later, the green light comes on to show its ready for action. I can't pretend I have noticed any difference to the sound after that. A minute lost from your life doesn't seem too much to spend considering the sound quality on off.
    QUOTE]

A minute wouldn't be a problem, the X30 starts up in a similar way to a PC so both could be switched on at the same time and should be ready to go in a similar time frame. It's just that I have heard that valve amps can take half an hour or so to really come on song. I'll get a better idea when I've heard the Firebottle.
    Paul

I'm Grant.

I'd say it improves over the first 20/30 mins but its no slouch even after a minute. A fine stage, and if you ever use a low mc you can always buy a sut.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I'd say it improves over the first 20/30 mins but its no slouch even after a minute. A fine stage, and if you ever use a low mc you can always buy a sut.
    Are you talking about the Firebottle here Grant? I thought it was MM/MC so there would be no need for a SUT?

I've just googled NJC and realised that I had come across their website before, it looks to be really well made.
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread