+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103 vs 103R

I'm Doruk.

Guys
    Just owned a denon 103R. Its really a good cart. First of all it has a warm sound. It makes you feel that you are listening a vinyl.
    But ı wonder with which settings we can get %100 of its performance. I mean vta, vtf, how much ohms etc? For xample ı heard that it is recommended to increase the arm to have better performance. Has anyone experienced any of these?
    Thanks a lot.

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by dhemen View Post
    Guys
    Just owned a denon 103R. Its really a good cart. First of all it has a warm sound. It makes you feel that you are listening a vinyl.
    But ı wonder with which settings we can get %100 of its performance. I mean vta, vtf, how much ohms etc? For xample ı heard that it is recommended to increase the arm to have better performance. Has anyone experienced any of these?
    Thanks a lot.
    buy yourself a heavy 12" denon arm. everything else is of secondary importance if you haven't done that.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Tony.

Just received my new (to me) Denon 103 with isokinetic weight stuck to it, cart and weight and fixings are about 13g and along with my headshell (MS HA-202) the combined weight is about 23.5g.

I've mounted it on my MS MA-202 arm and used the supplementary weight for the back of the tonearm to balance out the cart and first impressions are very very good, I'm listening to a stereo version of Kind Of Blue through the MC module of my Quad 34 pre-amp.

Sound is quite old fashioned but in a good way, quite dark, I think, like being in a nightclub, losts of low notes kind off heavy sounding I think but not horrible or anything like it just different sounding from my Reson MM cart.

Bass is full and piano is pretty good to, think I like this cart with jazz.

Should I add more weight to the headshell guys, I've a 3g technics weight that I could use and that will get the arm up at the cart end slightly too?

Surface noise is almost non-existant on this record which is an old 1964 CBS pressing but I know it well.

I'm tracking at 2.5g with the anti skate the same, dead easy to set this up on the MS arm BTW.

Toe tapping stuff this cart.

Tony

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Just received my new (to me) Denon 103 with isokinetic weight stuck to it, cart and weight and fixings are about 13g and along with my headshell (MS HA-202) the combined weight is about 23.5g.

I've mounted it on my MS MA-202 arm and used the supplementary weight for the back of the tonearm to balance out the cart and first impressions are very very good, I'm listening to a stereo version of Kind Of Blue through the MC module of my Quad 34 pre-amp.

Sound is quite old fashioned but in a good way, quite dark, I think, like being in a nightclub, losts of low notes kind off heavy sounding I think but not horrible or anything like it just different sounding from my Reson MM cart.

Bass is full and piano is pretty good to, think I like this cart with jazz.

Should I add more weight to the headshell guys, I've a 3g technics weight that I could use and that will get the arm up at the cart end slightly too?

Surface noise is almost non-existant on this record which is an old 1964 CBS pressing but I know it well.

I'm tracking at 2.5g with the anti skate the same, dead easy to set this up on the MS arm BTW.

Toe tapping stuff this cart.

Tony
    Thanks for the mini review Tony
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks for the mini review Tony
    Thanks Jim, I've put the 3g weight on the cart/headshell and the total weight of cart & headshell now is 26.5g, the Micro Seiki arm is a dream to use BTW but it would have been difficult, I think, without the supplementary weight which came with the arm however I've seen those sell for about £60 on e-bay, great design though, the SW just screws into the tonearm at the rear and the main weight just slides over it so that you can get the main weight back far enough to balance the arm.

I'm not noticing much difference between the two different cart/headshell (23.5g vs 26.5g) weights though.

Sound is good with both, maybe a bit lighter sounding with the heavier weight combo, less dark I think, piano is a bit recessed compared to the lighter weight.

Tony

Some photos

Last edited by twotone; 10-04-2015 at 12:12.

I'm Doruk.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    buy yourself a heavy 12" denon arm. everything else is of secondary importance if you haven't done that.
    Thanks. Sounds like an important advise but my TT is not designed for 12'.
    It has 8' arm.

I'm James.

Tony I am using a VPI Scout with 9 inch tonearm JMW 9T - Unipivot design and has effective mass of 10g. Internally damped - any idea if this would be OK to use wih the 103?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Tony I am using a VPI Scout with 9 inch tonearm JMW 9T - Unipivot design and has effective mass of 10g. Internally damped - any idea if this would be OK to use wih the 103?
    Hi Jim, sorry I've no idea mate but give it a go, there's an excellent thread on here about Denon 103s and Rs etc, I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Apparently my own arm, a Micro Seiki MA-202 is made for a Denon 103 which is why I wanted to try it and they both do seem to be very good with each other but from reading that thread the consensus is a to use a really heavy headshell, something in the 18g range from the likes of Denon or AT and as posted above a 12" arm from the seventies.

I've been looking at cheap SUTs but your talking at least £200 for a Denon one and to be honest my set up sounds okay at the minute.

I've been listening to the cart all afternoon and have to say that it sounds great with jazz, it's maybe not as refined as my usual cart which is a Reson Reca MM, there's isn't the same shimmer from cymbals etc but for bass and taming trumpet high notes then the Denon is very very good.

Not tried it with vocals yet but will do that shortly.

BTW, Jim the Denon is a big bulky cart that sits pretty low down on the record or close to the record if you know what I mean?

Tony

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ight=denon+103
    Last edited by twotone; 10-04-2015 at 14:25.

I'm Andrew.

My 103r arrived today. I bought it for a bit of fun. Can't wait to hear what this cart sounds like over the stock 103.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    My 103r arrived today. I bought it for a bit of fun. Can't wait to hear what this cart sounds like over the stock 103.
    You'll hear a BIG difference!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast