+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van Damme Blue v Hifi speaker cable reviewed

I'm Ken.

Default Van Damme Blue v Hifi speaker cable reviewed

The Van Damme (Blue) Studio quality speaker cable has been the default entry level cable for many audio enthusiasts, myself included.

I recently read a review of the 6mm square “Blue” (What I use) on Hifipig, where they did a comparative review with Van Damme’s UP-LCOFC Hifi cable (crap name) also in 6mm square. The review/s can be seen here:
    http://hifipig.com/van-damme-blue-an...es/#more-14566

After such a glowing review I was curious to try the Hifi cable as it’s in the same low price range, both cables are available (new) on the Bay for about £6.80/meter delivered.

This is what the two cables look like.
    The Blue, being for Pro use has a thick heavy protective jacket, the Hifi is light weight in comparison but they both house 6mm square OFC copper (other sizes available).
    The Hifi is marked as directional – I’m not sure I fully subscribe to this notion, but it’s something that costs nothing to do, I have got into the habit of marking my cables and always connecting them the same way round anyway.

So how does it sound?

I have to say I agree with the review, the Hifi cable is better, a lot better than the Blue.
    I listened to tracks I was very familiar with on my latest set up using the 6mm Blue.
    When I swapped it out for the 6mm Hifi the difference was immediately noticeable even before any burn in period. More detailed top end, if a little harsh and just more bass. Once the cable had a few hours on it things smoothed out, with a very detailed top end, cymbals that had sounded splashy on the Blue came into focus and shimmered. The bass grew even deeper and had great textural detail, there is a very rhythmical feel to the music with great punch and attack.

I don’t believe in spending huge amounts on fancy cables, the UP-LCOFC Hifi cable from Van Damme is a very good cable and amazing for the price, a significant upgrade from the Blue in my opinion and its the same price.

Based on this very positive result, I will look next at the Van Dame Silver Series interconnect cable in particular the low cap 55pf/m (£6/meter) and see if that can give an equally impressive performance.

I'm Hugo.

I wonder how Black Rhodium Twist might compare? I need some speaker cables of 5m length and am not prepared to take the risk on Van Damme 6mm, having heard the 4mm version, but this UP-LCOFC stuff is still more expensive than Twist. anyone using Twist out there?

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I wonder how Black Rhodium Twist might compare? I need some speaker cables of 5m length and am not prepared to take the risk on Van Damme 6mm, having heard the 4mm version, but this UP-LCOFC stuff is still more expensive than Twist. anyone using Twist out there?
    Interesting review Ken, pleased you put it up as I was checking out some blue just before.

I tried using twist but it didn't last a week in my system, horrible stuff.... my Rega Quattro beat it by a country mile. It was shrill and muddled. I'm using NVA LS2 at the moment which for beer money is great and saw off the Rega cable. It has its shortcomings though so I'm going to try something else a bit more refined.The system I've now got deserves better.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ken.

BR Twist is a cable I tried, but I prefere the VD Hifi.
    It's very much system dependant of course and what your prefered sound is.
    To me the Twist was a bit too laid back in comparison and not very sophisticated. I also had a few other cables in my sports bag of odds and ends, Atlas Hyper 2.5 (£15/meter), Anti - Cables enameled single strand, QED Original 40 and 80 strand, QED Silver Aniversary, DIY twisted Cat5, DIY shotgun Satalite Cable VD Black 2.5mm and of course the 6mm Blue.
    None of these impressed over the whole spectrum as much as the Hifi, they all have their good points with a weak area somewhere or other spoiling the overall presentation.

The Twist does not have much copper, the copper is fine multistrand and tinned and has a thick Silicone Jacket.
    Tip: you can buy Red and Black Silicon Sleeved tinned fine multistrand copper wire off the Bay. It is used for DC power packs for Radio controled aircraft etc, it has more copper and for less than half the price.

I use Twist for internal speaker wiring where it is only in short runs and the anti vibration benefits of the Silicon Jacket, the great flexibility and ability to withstand soldering temperatures without melting or shrinking back are a benefit.
    Last edited by Qwin; 02-04-2015 at 18:36.

I'm Ken.

Hi Rich - Very impressed with the HiFi cable, on the Van Damme site they say it is used for critical near field monitoring in studios and the prefered cable for at least one speaker manufacturer.

I have a 3m pair of the 6mm made up if you want to give it a go?
    They need running in though about 12 hours seems to do it.

My cables are difficult to remove as they go through my firplace walls, so I made up a 2m set for home and a 3m set for bake offs and equipment try outs etc.
    Oh, you could borrow the 6mm Van Damme Blue as well (also 3m long) if you want to compare the two in your system.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Hi Rich - Very impressed with the HiFi cable, on the Van Damme site they say it is used for critical near field monitoring in studios and the prefered cable for at least one speaker manufacturer.

I have a 3m pair of the 6mm made up if you want to give it a go?
    They need running in though about 12 hours seems to do it.

My cables are difficult to remove as they go through my firplace walls, so I made up a 2m set for home and a 3m set for bake offs and equipment try outs etc.
    Oh, you could borrow the 6mm Van Damme Blue as well (also 3m long) if you want to compare the two in your system.
    Think I will, 3m might just be long enough. My cables are also a bugger to install as I hide them under a carpet and around a fireplace. If I can fit them in I'll lend you some nva and rega cables to try.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Paul.

Speaker cables, just like other cables, are all system dependant so generalising on what is "good" or "bad" may work for one system and be utterly meaningless in another....imho.

I'm Ken.

Hi Paul

Yes totaly agree, as I said in post #4 it is system and taste dependant as to whether they work for anyone else.

I'm Oliver.

Hi Ken,
    I have just replaced 4 metres of Chord Odyssey with 5 metres of the 4mm Hi Fi cable & my initial thoughts are that the Van Dammes sound more revealing in the mid range (the Chords seem to have more bass & treble) , and the music just seems to flow easier. My Croft S7 just seens to gel better with my Proacs, (or should I say "more to my taste") with the 4mm cables.
    Oliver

I'm Ken.

Hi Oliver,

Glad its working for you too.
    If your equipment suits this cable I can second that it is very revealing.
    I dont think it would suit bright amps, based on the results I am getting and from your results using the Croft Power amp.
    But the only way to know for sure is for someone with bright gear to try it.

Switching between various sources I can see weaknesses in some of my other gear/Interconnects that will need attention to balance things out.
    I never noticed this before when using other speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast