+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkie37's Audio Note System

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Alan is correct!!! DO NOT DO IT, YOU MAY WELL DAMAGE THE AMPLIFIER.

Each 6SN7 has two triodes in it, the 6J5 has only one ... so they are different internally and use different pins to connect their various bits to the valve base. Putting the 6J5 straight into your amplifier as it is will result in the wrong pins being connected. The amplifier will need to be re--wired before you can use the 6J5s.

Also in the interests of accuracy, the 6J5 is not 'half-strength', it actually has more gain than one triode of the 6SN7, the latter only having more gain in this application because AN use both of the triodes in its tube, doubling up.
    Ok, I am officially giving up on the idea of trying out the 6J5 Thank you Peter and Alan for your good advice!

I will get the technician to put different resistors in the amplifiers to lower the gain. Apparently he has been talking directly with AN, so he will get the correct resistors to install and that will lower the gain somewhat. I will say as I did above that it still sounds terrific and I am merely trying to get that last bit out of it. Interestingly AN puts grounding posts on all of their gear and I really like that idea to help reduce any grounding issues. I was short one grounding cable, so I couldn't run one from my DAC to my preamp. One just arrived in the post this afternoon, so I will have to hook that up and see if it lowers any background noise.
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    If I were you Don I'd give AN a call or drop them an email in the UK

My technician is talking to them but I might give them a call anyway, just to find out what my options are to lower the gain. Nice to hear directly from the source.

I'm Peter.

Hi Don.

It should be possible to convert your amps to accept the 6J5 valves, as per the version that AN make. What we are saying is that your techie will need the circuit diagrams for both versions, and then he can change the wiring, and most likely some resistors / capacitors. This will be a better solution than merely whacking a couple of resistors on the input (simple 'potential divider' attenuator). AN went to the trouble of re-designing the circuit for the low gain model, so they must think a simple attenuator can be bettered, too.

I'm Don.

Hi Don.

It should be possible to convert your amps to accept the 6J5 valves, as per the version that AN make. What we are saying is that your techie will need the circuit diagrams for both versions, and then he can change the wiring, and most likely some resistors / capacitors. This will be a better solution than merely whacking a couple of resistors on the input (simple 'potential divider' attenuator). AN went to the trouble of re-designing the circuit for the low gain model, so they must think a simple attenuator can be bettered, too.
    Hi Peter;

Just back from Tokyo, so catching up on my hifi conversations : )

What you describe is what I have in mind. As it turns out, the technician is on holidays at the moment and my house is up for sale, so there seem to be other issues popping up and getting in the way. My dealer did say that the resistors that would be changed as the first attempt to lower the gain were not simple signal reducing resistors sitting at the output, that would affect the sound quality. They were somewhere else in the circuit and I thought that I would talk to the technician once he was back from holidays. He is the sort that appreciates doing whatever you can to get the best possible sound quality from your amp/preamp/DAC/etc.

Also, tomorrow I am supposed to pick up some NOS GE 6SN7 tubes that are brand spanking new (sort of - they are from the 1950s, but haven't ever been used) and are only $20 each, so that is an inexpensive tweak to try to see if they are an improvement over the cheapo EH driver tubes that I have now. If I am lucky, another fellow who has a couple of RCA Red Base 5692s will sell those to me at a friendly price and I can compare all three sets of tubes. I plan on trying a NOS set of Sylvania 6SN7s as well and keeping the two best sounding sets of tubes. I will sell the others to help pay for this crazy addiction

Yesterday and this morning I threw on a few records again to enjoy this new setup and the natural resolution is astounding. Lots of detail but not the ugly analytical sounding type that you get from cheap solid state or cheap digital. Linda Rondstadt's 'What's New' and Taj Mahal's 'Natch'l Blues' were a couple that really stood out!
    Last edited by Parkie37; 13-10-2016 at 22:34.

I'm Don.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    Yesterday and this morning I threw on a few records again to enjoy this new setup and the natural resolution is astounding. Lots of detail but not the ugly analytical sounding type that you get from cheap solid state or cheap digital.
    Hi Don ... yes, that's exactly it ... 'natural resolution'. Most hifi just doesn't deliver a 'real sound' to my ears ... this guy seems to feel the same way, too ... http://wajonaudio.m.webs.com

Pics are great! Are you going to color-coordinate? Black or silver?

I'm Don.

Hi Don ... yes, that's exactly it ... 'natural resolution'. Most hifi just doesn't deliver a 'real sound' to my ears ... this guy seems to feel the same way, too ... http://wajonaudio.m.webs.com

Pics are great! Are you going to color-coordinate? Black or silver?
    I will have to read through his postings to see what that fellow has to say. Perfect time of year for it. It is absolutely pouring here! Time to stay inside and have a cappuccino and read about music while listening to music!

Colour coordinate? Why of course....I have a new face plate coming to replace the one with the ding on the right side. It will be silver again. Even though I am delighted with the M6 preamp, it is a line stage and my dealer has worked out a price that allows me to sell the line stage version and purchase the phono version. I had thought of getting an external phono stage, but the M6 RIAA isn't a lot less expensive than the M6 Phono, therefore that option was ruled out immediately! I could go down to the M3 RIAA which is supposed to be a very good phono stage as well, but it is one more box. I have gone from an all in one integrated amplifier to having box after box after box after....So, for me personally, the answer is to get the M6 Phono, sell the M6 Line Stage and have the two boxes in one. Oh and the new preamp will be silver. When I have saved up a few more dollars, I am going to switch the face plates on the CDT 3 and the DAC 4.1/X Balanced Signature to silver as well. I had black components for years and years and I really like the cleaner and newer look of silver. It won't make the music sound any better, but it will put a smile on my face : ) What the heck, it's only money!

I'm Don.

I have taken more photos and will post a few here as I always appreciate it when someone shares pics of their system. I have downsized them, so they shouldn't take up too much bandwidth