+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkie37's Audio Note System

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    Well, my VPI Classic 3 is sold now and unless there is some tragedy from Fedex that prevents it from getting all the way to Los Angeles, I am committed to the Audio Note TT-2 Deluxe.

I may be one turntable away from my final table, in that I may upgrade up the AN line in a year or three, I suspect that I am done, other than perhaps some better power cords.

My turntable arrives at the end of January and I can't wait to hear it setup. Aside from the fact that it is hard to wait, I have one more thing to do to improve my system. I have had suspended floor issues that drove me away from the VPI, but I have since found a local,supplier that will sell me extendable floor jacks that you put in your crawl space or basement, under your floor joists. This makes your suspended floor sound almost like your are on concrete. I am going to out three of them underneath my speakers, in an L-C-R configuration. I have read very good things about others doing that. Between my suspended table and the floor jacks, I am hoping that my bass bloom will be gone : )
    I put jacks under my speakers which are on a suspended wooden floor. Obviously it significantly stiffens the floor and really improved everything, bass in particular.
    I then sat the speakers on vibropods, sat on a granite slab, sat on sorbathane feet. This reduced the transmission into the floor and brought additional benefits.
    The new AN arm will be a great match for the IO, if you were in the UK I would suggest looking for an old Voyd 0.5 Ref or Voyd Reference, but I am not sure many made it over to the US.
    Enjoy
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    I put jacks under my speakers which are on a suspended wooden floor. Obviously it significantly stiffens the floor and really improved everything, bass in particular.
    I then sat the speakers on vibropods, sat on a granite slab, sat on sorbathane feet. This reduced the transmission into the floor and brought additional benefits.
    The new AN arm will be a great match for the IO, if you were in the UK I would suggest looking for an old Voyd 0.5 Ref or Voyd Reference, but I am not sure many made it over to the US.
    Enjoy
    I'm really glad to hear that someone else has been through the same and that it worked for them. That is no guarantee that it will work for me, but I suspect that it will. I'm trying to decide if I will put two, three or six inder the floor. I think that I can get them for $40 each, so it isn't too bad if I try these out and they only have a small improvement.

I have tried quite a few support options, including Vibrapods. I truly think that the feedback from the VPI was too great to hear much difference from the changes in support.

I would love to restore or refurbish a top Voyd turntable. There was one on display at the Vancouver Audio Show last May, being demonstrated in the Audio Note room. It was my understanding though that you can't get replacement motors for them? That makes me far less enthusiastic to go down that road.
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Peter.

Yes, I think the multi-motor Voyds used big Papst motors that are no longer produced. Various enthusiasts in the UK have hoarded spares though, for their own use. If you ever decide to go this route, then 'pure sound' (Guy, a trade member here) is extremely knowledgable, and may be able to advise (he was a leading light in Audio Innovations, the predecessor to AN). IME, those top Voyds are about as good as you can get with belt-drive, although I have never been a fan of their styling. They go for big money in Europe, so if you ever find a bargain at your local thrift shop, then snap it up and worry later ...

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Yes, I think the multi-motor Voyds used big Papst motors that are no longer produced. Various enthusiasts in the UK have hoarded spares though, for their own use. If you ever decide to go this route, then 'pure sound' (Guy, a trade member here) is extremely knowledgable, and may be able to advise (he was a leading light in Audio Innovations, the predecessor to AN). IME, those top Voyds are about as good as you can get with belt-drive, although I have never been a fan of their styling. They go for big money in Europe, so if you ever find a bargain at your local thrift shop, then snap it up and worry later ...
    That makes sense Peter! When I was at the Vancouver Audio Show, they spoke of the Voyd as being 'priceless', while trying to be a bit funny! They are pretty rare in these parts. I guess I will stick with the TT-2 Deluxe that I have on order - for a while. I have fairly high expectations though as I was getting great sound from my system other than the bass feedback. If this brings in the proper balance that I am hoping for, then wow! I just have to stop buying albums so that I can pay off the new turntable!

I'm Don.

Well, I have a couple of updates on the home hifi front. I have the new TT-2 Deluxe turntable with the external power supply and after some break in time, I can firmly say that the TT-2 Deluxe is a stellar turntable.

Over the years, I have owned everything from a basic all in one (cheap) Lloyds turntable (1976), to a NAD turntable (circa 1981) to a Luxman PD289 (1982) to a Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/K18 (1989) to a VPI Classic 1 (2014) to a VPI Classic 3 (2015) and now up to the Audio Note TT-2 Deluxe, with external power supply. I also used to work part time at a couple of hifi stores back in the 1990s and had the opportunity to play with quite a few other turntables such as the early Planar 2 and 3, Gyrodecs, TechnoDecs, Maplenoll Ariadne, Oracles and several others that I am sure that I have forgotten. The more hours that I put on this turntable, tonearm, cartridge and power supply combo, the more it gels and more importantly, becomes musically enjoyable. I didn't think that the VPI Classic 3 would ever be beaten for bass power and impact, but this new TT-2 has more power and impact, but not just more, more in a more lifelike manner. The bass sounds less like a hammer on an anvil and more like a bass drum being hit. Which is of course, what we all hope for! You don't realize that your previous component isn't quite doing what it is supposed to, until you have the new component and it betters the realism of the previous one. I am certain that a good amount of this improvement is the fact that the IoGold and Arm 3 v2 were developed on the TT-2, or vice versa (or so I have been told). There is a real synergy amongst the whole system but especially the analog part of the system, which you would expect as they are from the same manufacturer.

Whenever you make a change to your sound system you always make that change with the expectation that you are improving the system. Of course, the number of times that I have made changes and later realized that they were not an improvement is a little depressing! Without a doubt though, the system is now working together and creating an incredibly musical whole that no system I have ever owned before could come close to. I would even say that there have only been a few systems that I have ever heard that equal our outperform what I am hearing at home now. I constantly find myself starting to listen to music in an analytical manner, thinking about what I need to fix, only to find myself getting carried away by the music! That is exactly what I have always wanted.

Here is how the system looks now...

Listening Room April 2016-7884 copy 3.jpg

I'm Timothy.

Don, all that business is rather crap, and I am sure sounds rather lame. I will begrudgingly take it off your hands however. Very nice man, looks superb and I can only imagine sounds quite amazing. It has been fun reading about your journey here!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Don, all that business is rather crap, and I am sure sounds rather lame. I will begrudgingly take it off your hands however. Very nice man, looks superb and I can only imagine sounds quite amazing. It has been fun reading about your journey here!
    Hahaha! Thanks Timothy. I really am having fun with the system now. My wife just invited her brother over to the house for dinner so that he could come and have a listen to it That is something that I never thought I would hear her say!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Timothy.

I am glad to hear you are having fun with it, so many folks get too uptight about things to really enjoy it! While I have heard bits and pieces of AN gear, I have yet to listen to a full-on one! One of these days!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    I am glad to hear you are having fun with it, so many folks get too uptight about things to really enjoy it! While I have heard bits and pieces of AN gear, I have yet to listen to a full-on one! One of these days!
    If you are ever in the Vancouver, Canada area, let me know. You are most welcome to come and listen to some music. This hobby is way more fun when you get to share it with the other crazies out there!

Don

I'm Grant.

Looking super there Don. You must be very pleased.. worth a big one

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast