+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Parkie37's Audio Note System

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Yes I’d say you’d need a lot of holes. And it would serve the purpose of keeping the cat away, or other hands and cleaning supplies. But it would defeat its ability to keep out dust. So you trade one issue for another. I agree it’s cumbersome, but worth it I guess, or I wouldn’t use it? My old ‘table had a hinged lid. Which was very convenient, and kept the dust at bay, but it always concerned me that it was picking up airborne vibrations while propped open, and my clamp was too tall to shut while in use. So I wound up removing it anyway.

Possibly you could make a cage for your amp? Perforated metal or rails close together, that would prevent the cat from loading it up with hair. And still have total air flow, and the plastic lid could fit over that? Or perhaps there is a tube cage made for your amp? Just a thought.

Russell
    I have looked about for a metal cage, cannot find anything suitable. Mind you, I could go custom and find a decent metal worker or welder to make one. I had a fellow in Ontario make me a nice maple shelf for my turntable. Right now I have the area around the amp barricaded like Fort Knox to keep the cat out. I have a Thorens TD 160 with a removeable plexiglass cover also. I have found having a hinged cover on during playback negatively affects the sound. I have fussy ears.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by ppat2 View Post
    I have looked about for a metal cage, cannot find anything suitable. Mind you, I could go custom and find a decent metal worker or welder to make one. I had a fellow in Ontario make me a nice maple shelf for my turntable. Right now I have the area around the amp barricaded like Fort Knox to keep the cat out. I have a Thorens TD 160 with a removeable plexiglass cover also. I have found having a hinged cover on during playback negatively affects the sound. I have fussy ears.
    Ha! I hear you on those fussy ears. I was thinking, I saw some brand of amp, I can’t recall, but it had a cage made of acrylic. Not a cover, but slats about an inch wide on supports, to protect the tubes. And one that had sheets about an inch apart, with round holes over the tubes. An LED made it look rather cool. At any rate, one of these companies that makes custom record player covers would probably make one for you, per your design? Just a thought.

Russell

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    I have a friend with a Shindo system and his cleaning lady broke the stylus on his SPU cartridge. He made her pay for the repair. Ouch!
    Sounds like the sort of person who would then of gone on to claim on the house insurance too. I hope she resigned following that.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Paul.

Ha! I hear you on those fussy ears. I was thinking, I saw some brand of amp, I can’t recall, but it had a cage made of acrylic. Not a cover, but slats about an inch wide on supports, to protect the tubes. And one that had sheets about an inch apart, with round holes over the tubes. An LED made it look rather cool. At any rate, one of these companies that makes custom record player covers would probably make one for you, per your design? Just a thought.

Russell
    That sounds like an awesome idea. Yes a custom cover would be the way to go, could get something that does the job and is stylish too.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by ppat2 View Post
    That sounds like an awesome idea. Yes a custom cover would be the way to go, could get something that does the job and is stylish too.
    Paul;

I too am in Vancouver (South Surrey actually...) and I had my custom turntable cover built by:
    Associated Plastics
    110 Franklin Street
    Vancouver, BC
    V6A 1J6
    604-251-9441

You can send questions or descriptions of what you have in mind to Info@associatedplastics.com. Their website is www.associatedplastics.com. I found them to be very helpful and came up with ideas for other issues that I wanted to solve, that were quite clever. I was quite happy to support a local business rather than pay someone in the U.S. to build it and then have to pay for shipping and customs fees and taxes. In the end, it cost almost half of what one of the bigger U.S. companies would have charged. I forget their name but they used to be quite popular years ago with owners of certain brands of turntables (VPI?)

Hope this helps,

Don
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Russell.

Just a bit of an update. I have found that plexiglass polish made for motorcycle windshields does a great job of cleaning up my acrylic record player cover. Just use a super soft cloth, the stuff scratches super easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Don.

Just a bit of an update. I have found that plexiglass polish made for motorcycle windshields does a great job of cleaning up my acrylic record player cover. Just use a super soft cloth, the stuff scratches super easy.
    Thanks Russell. I don't need it yet, but I am going to remember that when the time comes.

Don

I'm Don.

A bit of a system update. My CDT3 has had the laser assembly fail after a decade of use. There is a local service centre that specializes in high end audio, so having them repair it is much less expensive that shipping the CDT3 all the way back to Hove to have the work done. Unfortunately, AN has been quite slow getting the parts to my technician so I am using a borrowed CD player from a friend who is a Burmester dealer. He has leant me his Burmester 089 CD player to use while I wait. This thing is crazy expensive and crazy good!

Here are a couple of pics of it sitting on my new hifi stand:

Leica M10 Test Shots-1000026 copy.jpgLeica M10 Test Shots-1000034 copy.jpgLeica M10 Test Shots-1000040 copy.jpg

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Love the Leica in your avatar Don.

Is it an M240 digital?
    Barry

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Love the Leica in your avatar Don.

Is it an M240 digital?
    It is an M10. I sold off a lifetime's worth of Canon gear and studio equipment and bought the M10 and one lens! Absolutely beautiful camera. Using a rangefinder again for the first time in 25 years is proving to be a challenge but I am really enjoying it.

Don