+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkie37's Audio Note System

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    I once read that most stereo (single) potentiometers are better balanced between the channels in the middle of the middle of their range (10 to 2 o'clock), not down at the bottom (7 to 9 o'clock). Some designers, like Glenn Croft, say that all single stereo pots have tracking imbalances to some degree, and that dual volume controls are a better option.

There's certainly truth in that statement although Alps Blue while not sounding the best have very good channel balance. Used in shunt or pseudo shunt mode they can sound pretty good too! In my new build pres I use stepped attenuators which once again offer very good channel balance and sound quality but cost a little more.......

I'm Don.

I once read that most stereo (single) potentiometers are better balanced between the channels in the middle of the middle of their range (10 to 2 o'clock), not down at the bottom (7 to 9 o'clock). Some designers, like Glenn Croft, say that all single stereo pots have tracking imbalances to some degree, and that dual volume controls are a better option.

Thanks for the recommendations, Don. Spookily, you're the second person in the last 24 hours who has recommended the Bill Evans mofi ultradisc to me! Agree about Pablo jazz ... some excellent stuff in their catalogue, not least the great Joe Pass.
    You are exactly right Peter. Dual volume pots are much less of a compromise. Interestingly, I was worried about matching the two volume pots up accurately and how that would drive me crazy. If you think I'd single, smooth volume pots, you would hate to match up two of them. The M6 has matched resistors that have a very solid click between each volume setting. Incredibly easy to match the two and the sonic reward is substantial-the more that I use them, the more that I really like the dual volume pot setup.

The one other thing that I have been battling is the suspended floor in my new house. I just ordered the Solidsteel WS-5 wall shelf. Even though it means a few holes in the wall as well as some work to install it properly, from what I read I think that it will help my stylus skipping issues. Not on every record...only if you walk in the right part of the room, but...I feel like I want to isolate that last bit of external input and the added benefit is that I can stop worrying about where someone walks, while I enjoyed y a lower noise floor : ). That can be an issue with low output MC cartridges and high output SUTs.

My last house had a crawl space that allowed me to put floor jacks under the floor (below the hifi) and that came close to the sound of having the sound of a room with a concrete floor. Very nice improvement!

I'm hoping that this wall mount will better that isolation. I have a wonderful wife who enjoys music as well so I just keep telling her how much better Ella Fitzgerald will sound or the Arctic Monkeys or... so I am hoping that she doesn't mind the wall mount for the turntable 😊 Of course, I will ask after it is installed! I'm not crazy after all 😂
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Don.

I have recently added a Solidsteel WS-5 wall mount for my turntable as I have suspended floors and the dreaded skipping issues. Completely removed now! It's an expensive wall mount but it works wonders and is rated up to 65 kg/130 lbs.

IMG_4984.jpg

I'm Don.

IMG_4997.jpgHere is the view looking back from the HiFi towards the listening seats....please excuse the messy kitchen in the background : )

I'm Peter.

Nice room, Don.

Been thinking of a turntable wall-mount stand myself. Mmmm ... 65 Kg, you say? Coincidentally, that is the weight of my turntable
    On second thoughts, while the stand might be OK, I suspect the old walls wouldn't be up the job. Or, more honestly, my DIY (non-)skills and puny rawl-plugs would inevitably fail spectacularly under that sort of strain.

So ... I guess you're finished now? We can close the thread?

(This month's jazz recommendation ... Alan Barnes and the David Newton Trio, 'Below Zero' on the Concord label)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    IMG_4997.jpgHere is the view looking back from the HiFi towards the listening seats....please excuse the messy kitchen in the background : )
    Nice room.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Love the chair - is it an Eames? But not so happy with the way the records are filed; they need to vertical.
    Barry

I'm Don.

Nice room, Don.

Been thinking of a turntable wall-mount stand myself. Mmmm ... 65 Kg, you say? Coincidentally, that is the weight of my turntable
    On second thoughts, while the stand might be OK, I suspect the old walls wouldn't be up the job. Or, more honestly, my DIY (non-)skills and puny rawl-plugs would inevitably fail spectacularly under that sort of strain.

So ... I guess you're finished now? We can close the thread?

Yes, completely lost interest in it now that it is complete (I actually have a big change coming....)

(This month's jazz recommendation ... Alan Barnes and the David Newton Trio, 'Below Zero' on the Concord label)
    Nice! I will have a look for that one. I have just picked up an early UK pressing of Bob Marley's Exodus. I have owned a couple of noisy versions and this one appears to be almost mint. Can't wait! Also, another record that I picked up cheap but that also suffered from a lot of noise was Jeff Healey's 'See The Light'. Fantastic blues guitarist from Toronto, who I had flown in the past from one town to another. I picked up a mint copy of 'See The Light' and the best part is that each of these records were a whole lot less than the MFSL records that I had recently purchased : )

By the way, I used lag bolts to attach the wall mount into the framing studs in the wall behind the turntable. I had to use a socket wrench to tighten the lag bolts down nice and tight, pinning the wall mount against the wall. You could probably sit on it now. No point in half measures ; )

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Nice room.

Thanks Neil. We moved here six months ago and it is a much more modern styled house, so most of our furniture didn't look all that great here so we hunted through craigslist and picked up almost everything used and at a good price. Was kind of fun, like hunting for records : )

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Love the chair - is it an Eames? But not so happy with the way the records are filed; they need to vertical.
    Thanks Barry. I always wanted an Eames chair. This is a knockoff though as the new one is about 8-10 times what I ended up getting it for, off of craigslist. Funny thing is that you are leaning back so far in that chair that you end up with your ears below the tweeters and you need to acclimate to that. I didn't expect that. It appears that all Eames chairs have that characteristic to some degree.

BTW, the records used to be down on the bottom two rows, but I couldn't really see what I was looking for, so I moved them up much higher. I took the photo right after doing that (hence the 'I just tossed them in there' look), so they will be properly stored shortly! I have a couple of items already on two of the shelves, holding them vertically. Of course as we all know, the best solution is to get more records so that the shelves are full