+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What't the problem with Linn & Naim..?

I'm Stephen.

I personally dont think there is anything wrong with Linn/NAIM kit - in fact it's very good but IMHO there are issues. Until a year or so ago I was a dedicated Linn/NAIM chap LP12/Cirkus/Valhalla/Ittok/Troika NAP32.5/HiCap/250 so it doesn't come more purist than that. The constant talk on NAIM forums is PRaT (pace, rhythm and timing) and to be sure the "NAIM sound" is fast and dynamic (foot tapping)- in the same way that Linn KAN Mk1's were - but somehow I always felt there was life outside of Linn/NAIM - the problem was that as someone else has mentioned its all too easy to get locked into the corporate upgrade structure so rather than changing to something new (?better/different) you end up with more of the same because to make the change often means junking all your kit and starting from scratch - mucho moneyo
    NAIM gear is bullet proof and they will service anything they have ever made so if you like the sound they make it can be a really good investment - I also think the chrome bumper stuff looks the mutts nuts and IMHO sound better than the later kit.
    Linn - well in the early days they were pretty much the only game in town and Ivor was a pioneer but it was never cheap and still isn't - I also was never really sure the suspension was 100% - it may have been when the dealer set it up but then the trip back in the car and re-install? However, I still reckon the Troika was the best cartridge ever ever and I do miss it.

Anyway, I took the plunge and had a total change and have never looked back - The enjoyment I get from my current kit (see my profile or welcome post for details) is far more than I did with the Linn/NAIM stuff which was sterile in comparison.
    As always let your ears be the judge - my view is if you like the Linn/NAIM sound and dont mind possibly locking yourself into a philosophy then buy it - it's well made, reliable, repairable and sounds very very good - I just like my kit better

Steve

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    I used to own Naim kit starting with a 42/110 and ending up with a 52/250 set up. I really liked the sound but always felt guilty spending so much on it (spread over a long period though). Really hated the recap costs as well.

So about 4 years ago I decided to try some alternatives and found Avondale in Chesterfield. I started with a Les modded 62/APX4 power supply which sounded just as enjoyable as the 52 so that went first. Next was the 250's as again the A260 just sounded better to me in every way.

My good old CDS1 has now gone as has my preamp as I really like Stan's Caiman and took the opportunity to go to a low cost streaming solution.

The upshot, Naim is really good but now I have a system at less than a quarter of the cost, a tiny number of boxes and a sound that I prefer too. I am now interested in modding which if I had not gone the Avondale / Beresford route I would not have tried.

I think that Naim is a popular route as it is an easy way to build a system. The alternatives do involve a lot of trial and error and a willingness to tweak.

Regards

Chris
    based on that i would very much value your view on this:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3768

edit: i just realised you already have done.... but i have since replyed
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 03-09-2009 at 11:38.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Paul.

Hamish,

I'm in a similar position to you right now. I must thank you for starting that thread on PFM, its given me some very useful contacts and info that I didn't previously have. For example I wasn't aware there were ordinary PF members willing to mod stuff if asked, and I thought the offers you got to go and listen to other peoples' systems were quite overwhelming. FWIW, I'm also thinking of going down the Avondale route. I'm about to audition some alternative boards for my 72.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    Hamish,

I'm in a similar position to you right now. I must thank you for starting that thread on PFM, its given me some very useful contacts and info that I didn't previously have. For example I wasn't aware there were ordinary PF members willing to mod stuff if asked, and I thought the offers you got to go and listen to other peoples' systems were quite overwhelming. FWIW, I'm also thinking of going down the Avondale route. I'm about to audition some alternative boards for my 72.
    let me know how you get on!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    let me know how you get on!!
    Will do. My 250 and Hi-cap also need servicing I think so obviously all that talk of avondale amps and modding was very relevant. It's a tough call.

I'm Ralph.

This could be really interesting as my HC/180 are both due a service. I'm thinking of maybe trying one of the 3rd party PSU, probably Avondale as I understand they offer a money back guarentee if not happy. Anyone tried this, directly comparing the different PSUs to a Hi-Cap, would be interest in peoples actual experiences.

Cheers

Hi Spur,

Have a look at Avondale's 821 boards for the 72 and a TPX1 power supply. Also Les recommends signal cable from the 72 direct to power amp and not via the Hicap as Naim recommend. You can get them on sale or return to try them out.

You could sell your Hicap and have a TPX1 for less than the recap cost!

Regards

Chris

I'm David.

ooo i have openend up a can of worms here havent i!

I'm David.

if anyone mod wants to move this avondale talk into my avondale thread it might make things make a bit more sence??? post#12 onwards i recon

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post

You could sell your Hicap and have a TPX1 for less than the recap cost!

Regards

Chris
    That thought had occurred to me

Regards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast