+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: What't the problem with Linn & Naim..?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    I think Naim CD players are quite useful music makers, possibly way overpriced but superbly built imo. I also enjoy Rega CDPs, I still occasionally use an original Planet, its a bit fat and flabbly but quite serviceable.
    Some old Naim CD players can be made to sing sweetly (ACD3 - Les has replacement mechs too - Naim ran out some time ago). One or two expensive Naim CD players sound really very good indeed. All the rest are harsh and "noisy" IMO..

The Planet has an extremely high output impedance which won't work properly with most ss inputs of 20K or less. You really need a 100K input (or ditch the output rf filter in line with Acoustica's recommendations)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default F.A.O DSJR

Hi Dave,

Could you clarify something for me in your earlier post #123, which I've just noticed:

the sales director praised on the other site for his wonderful service to his Naim clients...
    Whom are you referring to?

Cheers.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can't. The business has long gone, the individual is doing something now with custom installs I believe (well he was a few years ago) and as stated, the memories of this particular situation are rather stressful and not somewhere I want to go...

Tease!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

I'm a coward, but regularly rocked the boat a bit back then and got into trouble for my efforts. The chap who's marriage went to pieces is a long-standing friend of mine (although we're not in regular contact these days) and although this issue wasn't the whole story, it was a significant factor.

Having been recently censured elsewhere because I "worked on the shop-floor for a wage" and fell victim to their spin and hype, continue to zealously use "legacy" audio and tried to explain that computer-audio people almost certainly won't be spending £2K on Naim's new DAC and to just let them be, I don't feel I want to discuss this or the other maker or their products again for a good while. I'm becoming so out of touch now in any case................
    Last edited by DSJR; 08-09-2009 at 17:14.

S'ok, mate - chillax. I'm just teasing

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Dave,
    Don't let the bastards get you down, you're worth a thousand of them and don't forget, you're welcome here anytime for an update session.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718