+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Save up for a Nottingham Hyperspace or make the final upgrade with ETP platter?

I'm Dave.

Nowt wrong with any Nottingham Analogue turntable - they sound great, totally reliable, virtually plug n play and good value. The engineering is second to none and they certainly don't lack 'drive'. What you need to do is get a listen to one and then you will know for sure.

I'm Darren.

one option is to get a 2nd hand spacedeck and arm, for a lot less than the hyperspace, and keep both. that way you can actually see which you prefer. (plus the space deck can be upgraded with an ace anna arm, the heavy kit and wave mechanic psu if you like it.)

i see people are saying you won't like one if you like the other, but i'm not sure thats the case. i have a 1210, not as modded as yours, but modded enough, and am a big fan of the notts sounds too. i've got one coming later in the year. my techy has been for sale for a bit, and it's looking like it won't sell so i'll keep both.

I'm Chris.

So many great responses here! And yes, a VPI is also a turntable I have looked at. But if a VPI is to be an upgrade from my current modified Technics, I think it must be a VPI Classic.

The DD Kenwood is a beautiful deck, too, but if I'm to sell my techy it would be to upgrade it to a newer turntable. I love the look of the 1210M5G and it has a world of after market parts, too.

I'm sure the Michell is a fine turntable, but I just cant't stand looking at the turning sylynders under the platter. I do not like that design, sorry.

Design wise I could go for a VPI Classic, but I don't know if it would be an upgrade. The VPI as I understand has a great drive with great bass, and maybe that would be more of a sideways move?

What I don't understand is when some say that a Hyperspace would lack drive because of a low tork motor? With a light weight platter, say a Rega, I would understand. But with a heavy platter like the Hyperspace? As long as the platter is spinning at 33.33 and the stylus drag does not affect the heavy platter, why would the low tork result that way? I'm just asking.

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post

What I don't understand is when some say that a Hyperspace would lack drive because of a low tork motor? With a light weight platter, say a Rega, I would understand. But with a heavy platter like the Hyperspace? As long as the platter is spinning at 33.33 and the stylus drag does not affect the heavy platter, why would the low tork result that way? I'm just asking.
    That is precisely my thinking Chris! The trouble is I have heard so many reports of great bass of the 1200 (and SP10) there must be something to it. In fact my limited experience bears this out. My bass is taut and tight which I did not have on my Clearaudio turntable (actually a Marantz built by Clearaudio). It seems that the larger wave excursions of bass cause some drag and the high torque motor overcomes this better than the increased inertia of mass. I am not sure why this should be. Perhaps you need to go to the highest mountain and sit without food cross-legged for three days to ponder these mysteries.

Anyway, here are a couple of suggestions: one is to consider what would be achieved by a bass plate. I think it would reduce vibration by giving more rigidity. Vibration can be reduced in another easier, cheaper, safer, and reversible way if you did not like the result. Open up the TT, first from the top, and then from underneath so you have access to the metal chassis. Stick a damping material such as dynamat on every spare space. It works an absolute treat!

Another suggestion if you are looking for a change (in addition to an improvement) may be to look at your phono stage. This is the sort of thing that is easier to try at home. A nice valve stage may be the ticket! I think this is an area where a lot of improvement can be made because the signals are so small.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Andrew.

I had and Orbe with a Rega arm and a top speck LP12, ekos arm etc but preferred my 1210 to both of them! The 1210 just has great drive and boogie factor.

Get a ETP platter and sell the MJ-12 as you won't need it to raise funds.

Please think very carefully, once you sell your 1210 you cant get it back as the 1210, Oyaide MJ-12 are all discontinued!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm inthescottishmafia.

So many great responses here! And yes, a VPI is also a turntable I have looked at. But if a VPI is to be an upgrade from my current modified Technics, I think it must be a VPI Classic.

The DD Kenwood is a beautiful deck, too, but if I'm to sell my techy it would be to upgrade it to a newer turntable. I love the look of the 1210M5G and it has a world of after market parts, too.

I'm sure the Michell is a fine turntable, but I just cant't stand looking at the turning sylynders under the platter. I do not like that design, sorry.

Design wise I could go for a VPI Classic, but I don't know if it would be an upgrade. The VPI as I understand has a great drive with great bass, and maybe that would be more of a sideways move?

Dunno, but I was told by my friend that adding the rim drive transformed the sound of the deck. Go figure..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    The Hyperspace is chalk to the Technics' cheese, so you can't really compare them - you are likely to love one but not the other. The Technics has that legendary sense of 'drive' but (IME at least) can be musically unsubtle. The Nottingham is exactly the opposite - fantastically musical and delicate with chamber type music, but its low-torque motor philosophy rather tends to let it down when the music gets really dynamic; indeed these decks almost seem to stumble when faced with deep, complicated rhythms. The AceSpace arm is possibly one of the best value arms out there - a true bargain that can be recommended whatever the turntable.

I'd love to hear a Hyperspace with a rim-drive system - that could well be the very best of all worlds.

To answer your question, if you like and enjoy your Technics you could be very disappointed with the Hyperspace.

What Hugo said!

Though for me the ideal compromise here is a well-sorted idler. Flog the Techie and get a TD124

I'm Dave.

You are correct. The user starts the platter with a quick spin and the inertia of the massive platter, topped up by the motor, keep it spinning at the correct speed regardless of what the arm and cartridge do. It just ploughs through without hesitation.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You are correct. The user starts the platter with a quick spin and the inertia of the massive platter, topped up by the motor, keep it spinning at the correct speed regardless of what the arm and cartridge do. It just ploughs through without hesitation.
    In theory. Personally I have often found the belt drive, high mass approach ia bit bland.

I'm Graeme.

In your place, I'd definitely sell the Technics and save up for/get the Nottingham.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast