+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Save up for a Nottingham Hyperspace or make the final upgrade with ETP platter?

I'm Chris.

Default Save up for a Nottingham Hyperspace or make the final upgrade with ETP platter?

Hi you all! I write this question, because I know a lot of you in here have so much more experience with different turntables than I have

My SL-1210M5G has the following upgrades:
    - Mike New Bearing.
    - MCRUs external PSU w/ regulator.
    - Isonoe feet.
    - IsoKinetik Techniboots.
    - Oyaide MJ-12/ BR-one + 432g Rek-O-Kut weight
    - Isokinetic Silver Melody SM750 tonearm (all silver wired + vertical heavy weight)

If I was to take the fully modified route, the next upgrade now would be the MN bearing base plate and the ETP platter.

The turntable I have read alot about lately is the Nottingham Hyperspace. I think it's the best looking turntable I have seen (never seen it in person). I also read that it would be fantastic together with my London Decca Super Gold. I have never read any forum reviews/ feedback of how a Hyperspace or an Ace Spacedeck would compare to a fully modified 1210 with ETP (or Oyaide platter). All I have read is how a standard 1210 compare, or a lightly modified KAB compare. And most write that the techy cannot compare at all. Even to the Ace Spacedeck witout the heavy platter kit. The Hyperspace would be even better.

I ask because saving up to a base plate + ETP would be pretty expensive. Alernative is to sell my modified 1210M5G and save up to a Hyperspace. I know, I should get a demo, and I can take a 2 hour drive with my 1210 to the hifi store with Nottingham. But before I start saving up or getting my techy ready for a 2 hour drive, it would be great to hear your experience with Ace Space or Hyperspace It would be great with if the answer is not just "two very different tt", because I know that.

I can say that I was lucky enough last month to get a spesial demo from the Avid designer and chief himself in Oslo. The two top Avid tt with expensive Lyra Atlas did not impress me that much compared to the sound I have at home. Sure it was great, but so is my set up costing alot less money, too

But I love the looks of the Nottingham (as with my 1210M5G) and please write what you know of the Notts

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Hugo.

The Hyperspace is chalk to the Technics' cheese, so you can't really compare them - you are likely to love one but not the other. The Technics has that legendary sense of 'drive' but (IME at least) can be musically unsubtle. The Nottingham is exactly the opposite - fantastically musical and delicate with chamber type music, but its low-torque motor philosophy rather tends to let it down when the music gets really dynamic; indeed these decks almost seem to stumble when faced with deep, complicated rhythms. The AceSpace arm is possibly one of the best value arms out there - a true bargain that can be recommended whatever the turntable.

I'd love to hear a Hyperspace with a rim-drive system - that could well be the very best of all worlds.

To answer your question, if you like and enjoy your Technics you could be very disappointed with the Hyperspace.

I'm Geoff.

I'd have the NA turntable, but the Techie has a lot of fans.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Very interesting indeed and thank you for answering! Yes, I love the 1210-sound that I have now with the upgrades so far. Especially the drive and the tight bass. But sometimes I miss the deeper insight, the lighter touch and space. The music I love to listen to is jazz and classical, but also music 80-90s pop music like Madonna, Tracy Chapman, Dire Straits etc, or I can spend an evening listening to Jim Reeves, Roger Whittaker, Tori Amos and Leonard Cohen But I never listen to rap or heavy metal (a little Iron Maiden, yes, but that is it)...

You say that the Nottingham may be more musical, but a Nottingham with a Decca Super Gold could even out that drive it might be missing compared to a modified 1210??

I know I´m answering your answer with more questions and that I can never really be sure until I compare the two. So I would still appreciate all you guys can tell about the Hyperspace and 1210 with ETP

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd have the NA turntable, but the Techie has a lot of fans.
    What NA table do you have and what can you tell me about it? What music do you like and with what cartridge? Tell me all the details, please

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    What NA table do you have and what can you tell me about it? What music do you like and with what cartridge? Tell me all the details, please
    I don't have one. I've heard them sounding very good in the past many times though and like the engineering that goes into them. Funny thing is, I've never seen a NA used with anything other than an MC cartridge.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A friend has a Hyperspace, but gets the best of both worlds by using it with a Verus rim drive. This way you get the good bits of the Hyperspace along with the drive of a good idler/direct drive.

Not a cheap option though..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Very interesting indeed and thank you for answering! Yes, I love the 1210-sound that I have now with the upgrades so far. Especially the drive and the tight bass. But sometimes I miss the deeper insight, the lighter touch and space. The music I love to listen to is jazz and classical, but also music 80-90s pop music like Madonna, Tracy Chapman, Dire Straits etc, or I can spend an evening listening to Jim Reeves, Roger Whittaker, Tori Amos and Leonard Cohen But I never listen to rap or heavy metal (a little Iron Maiden, yes, but that is it)...

You say that the Nottingham may be more musical, but a Nottingham with a Decca Super Gold could even out that drive it might be missing compared to a modified 1210??

I know I´m answering your answer with more questions and that I can never really be sure until I compare the two. So I would still appreciate all you guys can tell about the Hyperspace and 1210 with ETP
    It sounds like you have room within your musical tastes for both turntables! That said, I don't think that a Decca will compensate for the Nottingham's relative lack of 'musical propulsion/drive', which I believe is an unavoidable consequence of its very low torque motor philosophy.

I can't comment on the ETP platter, but how about this for a bit of a left-field recommendation: if you like the sense of 'drive' with rock-solid speed stability that Direct Drive brings, but want something with real musical delicacy, seek out an old Kenwood DD deck such as the KD-990. I have a KD-770D (cruder cousin to the KD-990) and it's a really lyrical performer, broadly equal to the Heavied/Waved Spacedeck that I had at the time. IIRC Neal (NRG) has a KD-990 and rates it highly.

I'm James.

Hi Chris,

I have heard the techy and the NA and agree they are both great TT but different in terms of musical presentation.
    Can I throw in a curved ball and suggest you try a VPI TT if you have a dealer near you. Belt driven, high mass, high torque motor, unipot arm - works well with Decca espeacially as it is internally damped.
    I was going to buy a NA until I heard the VPI Scout 1.1. Changed my mind and got the VPI - extremely happy with it. Also look at the VPI Prime - even more mass and simply superb sound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Another curve ball, try to hear a Michell Orbe with a decent arm and cart on it.
    Lots of authority and drive to the sound with deep tight bass. Very musical.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast